para gas mask bags....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

para gas mask bags....

What is the consensus regarding German paratroop gasmask bags ? Is there such a thing as a late war variation ? Do all original examples use PRYM snaps and do they all have the rubber filter tab sewn into them .
    I have seen several examples that have a rubber tag but which are clear fakes ( eg with post war riri zips BW straps) and several apparently genuine examples ( eg with Elite zips and PRYM snaps ) which are without tags .
    Can someone post some photos of known originals..

thanks,

Steve

Watch out for these. There are incredible repros coming out of Czechoslovakia.
    WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

gas mask bags

Hi again Steve,

There are late war bags. The construction style is the same though, only the materials changed. Late war bags will be from thinner material (often with some rayon content), have smaller size snaps and have a synthetic abrasion pad (the rectangle that is sewn inside). Early bags are of heavy cotton canvas, have large snaps, and the abrasion pad is leather. All bags should have the rubber plug unless it was removed.

Hope this helps a bit.
      Best,
      John
      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Thanks John,

To the best of your knowledge were the press studs always PRYM, or did they use other makes ?

Regards,

Steve.

Comment

gas mask bag snaps

Hi Steve,

The early bags I've seen have large PRYM snaps. The war time bags, like bandoleers, water bottle covers and para helmet chin straps, also use various snaps like STOCKO and the unnamed "filigree" pattern. There was no order, "only produce Fallschirmjaeger equipment with PRYM snaps." Flying clothing manufacturers made use of STOCKO snaps a lot. It's a mystery to me why every authentic jump smock I've ever seen had PRYM snaps.

Accurate reproductions of wartime PRYM snaps are now put on repro smocks because a recent reference book stated that only PRYM snaps were used on jump smocks and showed close up photos of them. This troubles me, I feel too much information merely provides the fakers with a better blue print. I'd never show maker's marks in a reference, better to pass this on by word of mouth.
          Cheers,
          John
          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hi John and Steve,

John, is that the cover you got from RS?

On the gas mask bags, I have several mint late-war ones......they have Prym snaps.......3-digit maker codes..one has the plug, one does not. As John mentioned the later style reinforcing. This one particular maker is the only one that I have seen with plugs or without. But, they are exactly the same bag otherwise. Textbook late bags from thin cotton. Have only seen two of the exact style that did not have plugs, but were clearly original. The other was Petersen's. Would generally dismiss any without plugs, except for this late maker. Other features make them absolutely original, and bad ones without plugs have other problems.

Yes, as Gene mentioned, the Czechs are making superb copies with plugs. Always something wrong though. A friend makes nice repros for the re-enacting hobby, and these have filtered onto the market.

Have only seem some bags with Prym snaps, most seem to be unmarked and as John mentioned, early ones have larger snaps and can have different straps. My mid-war one is made from a heavy green cotton.....also maker marked. Snaps are unmarked.

For FJ field gear the rules are off in regards to Prym snaps. Only smocks seem to be relatively consistant. Have only seen one real water pattern smock that did not have Prym snaps. Have pictures of that smock. All the FJ trousers I have seen have had Prym snaps. How about you guys?

The repro bags also do not have the right metal fittings and the center toggle. But, they are rather good overall. This hobby gets tougher each year.

Willi
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

gas mask bags

Hi Willi and Steve,

Early bag is green canvas, the fittings are aluminum except the zipper which is brass and it's a Zipp. The spare lens pocket has a Prym 4 snap and bag closure snaps are large Prym 7's. No maker mark but waffen proofed.

Later bag, small stocko snaps, thin cotton material, maker marked with three letter code, elite zipper.
              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

mis-statement

Early bag is maker marked but not legible.
                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

John,

Have only seen the WaA on a late bag. Have seen 3-letter codes on late and mid bags, and maker marks such as "Auer" on early bags. I guess we could write a book on bag variations.

Willi
                  Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X