Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herman Meyer cap - real or not?

Gentlemen,

I don't know if this should be posted in the headgear forum, perhaps this is the right place.
    I would like to know if possible your opinions about this.
    Thanks in advance,
    Cesar.

Comment

Comment

Giday,
        The buttons used to attach the neck flap to the cap look very odd. What does everyone else think?
        All the best,
        Ian

Comment

Could never be able to tell from a photo like that. The repros are very, very good today. In fact, they are superb. They are so good in fact that I would never even comment on whether one is bad or good.....nor would I attempt to buy one unless it came from someone like Bill Shea, who knows these Hermann Meyers very well.

Willi
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

"Meyer" cap

Hi,

Ian is correct, the buttons are atypical. Usually they are metal dish shaped, or sometimes tan glass. The eagle should be sewn on in a triangle; this one looks almost rounded as the stitching nears the corners. If so, no way! Perhaps this is just folds in the cap. Willi's advice is sound, and you should heed it. The reproductions of these are very accurate and it's almost impossible to tell a good one from a bad by the use of photos alone. One needs to actually hold it and examine it closely.
            Can you post a photo of the interior and a close up of markings? My initial reaction is to avoid this one, only one opinion.......

Best,
            John
            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

For those that want to see pictures of both models of Hermann Meyers, Chris Mason did include 2 large color photos of textbook examples in the "German Paratroops" by Robert Kurtz book. I do see exactly what John had mentioned (and Ian about the buttons) about the eagle insignia. Plus, yesterday I got to see a nice repro which was sold for $125 at a local, but rather advanced, show. Scary, but lacking the right touch, feel and smell.

Willi
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi,
                I also think this cap is a copy,although we don't have a shot of the inside.
                The eagle is sewed on in a odd way as mentioned,I don't like the bevo eagle and cockade and I don't like the buttons either.
                I've seen quite some caps,but I feel this one is different and not the real deal.

Regards,
                Jos.

Comment

Many thanks for the attention to all who answered. I will try to post pictures of the interior.

Cesar.

Comment

Interior of cap

Gentlemen,

Since my interest on this cap soured because of the great info I received on this forum, the seller decided to put it for sale on eBay. I think the decrease in the price he was asking me clearly speaks for his knowledge about the authenticity of this item.

Please check other photos of this cap under the item number 2106387196

Many thanks for the input.
                    Cesar.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X