Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of my favorite things.....

Eric's favorite things

Thanks for posting the photo Eric. Incredibly rare helmet and bandoleer, not many authentic examples of either still exist.
    best,
    John
    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

That is nice,,I like the way you have it pictured as well....

Comment

Hi Eric,

As mentioned in our emails, you made the right decision to get that helmet. I have a contact in Norway that may be able to reach the guy who found it in a barn 2 yrs ago. Maybe I can get a letter or something, if you want me to try. BTW, there are 7 photos of that helmet in the new 2-volume helmet book in case you have not seen it yet. I had that helmet here at home for two months, so I am both glad for you and jealous.......:-).

Willi
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi Eric,
          Thanks for posting the new photo, the M37 is a beautiful lid !
          I hope you don't think I am being rude, but how much more expensive would such a helmet be over a standard para helmet ? You don't need to answer this BTW.

Regards,

Steve.

Comment

Thanks Steve,

That is a common misconception that this the M37, when in fact it is the M36. The M36, which was the first helmet worn by German paratroopers, had 2 reinforced slots on each side of the helmet
            ( for the chinstrap ), and had no internal rings. The later M37 had only one non-reinforced slot on each side, and had four internal ( square ) rings. The rational behind this design improvement was so the helmet could be used as a standard helmet ( by attaching one strap to the external slots ), or be used as a jump helmet by attaching both straps ( in a crisscrossed fashion ) to the internal rings. This of course led to the "Y" strap design of the M38 which was approved on June 16, 1938. Many of the M36 and M37 helmets were refitted with the new M38 liner and strap system, as this one pictured has.

EQ
            Last edited by Eric Queen; 04-21-2002, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Eric,

Very nice. Well, I am a bit poor but I only have in my collection this picture which has been taken in Wittstock by Feb. 40. It shows the Jaeger Rüter (later 16./LL-Sturm-Rgt. 1)
              It might rings a bell... I am sorry for the quality, I am learning everyday.

Jean-Yves

Comment

Hi Eric,
                Thanks for the m36/m37 clarification, there is not alot of accurate information puplished out there, and even less genuine helmet photographs. Just one question....if i am right there is an extra hole drilled on the other side of your helmet, just beneath the spanner bolt/vent hole. Why is it on one side only ? Has the liner been put in crooked ?

Regards,

Steve.

P.S.
                the apple green colour has reproduced well in your photo, unlike the pictures in Brana's book!

Comment

No, the liner isn't crooked. I believe the M35 style vent hole on the ( wearers ) right side was a little off, that is why they put the spanner bolt just slightly above it.

EQ

Comment

Great Helmet Eric

I was able to examine that helmet this year at the SOS.

I am happy it went to a true collector, as Willi stated I am a little jealous also.

Matt

Comment

As all real M36s and M37s are, this M36 was made from a M35 which was returned to the factory and cut down. When the M38 liner was added the front two rivets for the M31 style liner were no longer needed. The left spanner bolt fit exactly where the M35 vent was. The right side spanner was not a perfect fit and therefore you still see the vent hole, but what is unique is that the separate piece used for the M35 vent popped out.

Overall very cool and demonstrates how pre-war everything was used and upgraded. That is why it would be hard to convince me that any M36/37s would still have the original liner......possible....

A very cool piece..if only it could talk. If Eric can ever figure out the name that is scratched on the inside of the rear rim (I couldn't), we could get some history.

Willi
                      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X