Help needed with Wehrpass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help needed with Wehrpass

I can't tell if this is "Hattenbaum" or "Gattenbaum" ( looks more like Hattenbaum to me, what do you guys think? )

This man was in communications, and went from the N.Z. of 22 I.R. to the FIK, back to the 22 I.R, and then to the Nach.Zg. of the FIB.

What I find interesting about this book is the service/battle page.
    It seems to me the book is indicating service at the Albert Canals.
    I wonder if this could be a mistake , or because of his specialty, and because he was not attached to the N.Z of II./FJR1 ( as of 6.20.39 just N.Z./FJR1 ( and Sturmabteilung KOCH was known as
    17./FJR1 ) if he could have actually been temporarily assigned to this unit and participated in the attacks on one of the bridges at the Albert Canals as part of Eisen, Beton or Stahl.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

EQ

Re: Help needed with Wehrpass

Sorry, but just about the name:

Originally posted by Eric Queen
    I can't tell if this is "Hattenbaum" or "Gattenbaum" ( looks more like Hattenbaum to me, what do you guys think? )
    Hattenhauer must be closer. To tell H from G you just need to look at the cover, don't you?

Comment

I see 'H'. The manner of forming the letter reminds me of the way in which Hitler formed the first letter of his surname. It's also like the way we were made to write when I was a 7 year old in the German School in Dublin back in the 1960s. Yup: 'H'.

PK

Comment

"Hattenhauer" it is.

Comment

Hi Eric,

Very nice and interesting Wehrpaß

Looking at his signature and name on and under the photo :
          it clearly says Joachim Hattenbaum.

Einsatz Holland.
          Durchbruch z. Ärmelkanal.

Unit II/FSJ Rgt 1
          So I think it is for the Netherlands
          Must be for Waalhaven (or a small possibility the Voetbalstadion Feyenoord area - going to the Willemsbrug.)

So when you are so disappointment that it isn't Belgium, you are most welcome to sell it to me.

yours friendly Eric-Jan Bakker

Comment

Giday Eric,

How are you? I hope that you are well.

Could you please provide me with a copy of the awards page. I would expect that had Hattenbaum been involved in the capture of one of the bridges spanning the Albert Canal, he would have received the Iron Cross, second class.

I can't say with certainty whether all members of Sturmabteilung Koch received the Iron Cross, first class. However, I can say that all of the documents that I have seen relating to these men suggest that they all received the Iron Cross, first class.

Did Hattenbaum receive the Iron Cross, first class?

I look forward to reading your reply.

All the best,

Ian

Comment

"Hattenhaur" signature, "Hattenhauer" on the ID entry page. I hadn't looked under the photo, only at the entry page. I guess HE knew how to spell his (odd) name, even if the battlaion clerk didn't!

Comment

Hi to all !

Agree with Akira & Eric , it's Hattenbaum.

Certainly not a Koch member but made his jump at the Moerdijk bridges in Holland as a member of Lt Hofmann (?) Nachrichtenzug with the second (II) battalion (Präger) .

Very nice piece!!!!!

Marc.

Comment

Thanks guys for the information and the observations. I appreciate it very much. I guess his name is indeed "Hattenbaum".

Eric,

He was with II./FJR1 only until 19.6.39 as of 20.6.39 he was with Nachr.Zug.FJR1 ( not assigned to any specific Batl. ) which I would guess would mean he could be attached to whichever unit he
                  ( his special skill ) was needed.

If he was with II./FJR 1 at this time, my guess is he would have jumped near the bridges at Moerdijk, not the airfield at Waalhaven with K.L.Schultz and III./FJR1. I still find the ArmelKanal notation interesting. The other wehrpass's I have seen to early jumpers all clearly state Moerdijk, Dordrecht, Waalhaven, etc. Why would this one say ArmelKanal? I am not sure.

Ian,

Yes, he was awarded the EK II on 17.5.40. I was under the impression that all members of Granit received both the EKI & II but not all the members of Eisen, Beton and Stahl.

A mystery.

Eric

Comment

Eric ,

Armelkanal is in fact the 'sea' between Europe (Belgium/Holland) and Great Brittain , it's not the Albertkanal , which was Belgium first defence line against a possible German invader.

Durchbruch zum Armelkanal , often seen in Wehrpasses , means the major German advance to the North Sea .

Marc

Comment

Mystery solved. Thanks a lot Marc for clearing that up. I certainly learned something. I don't know why I was under the impression that "Armelkanal" was German for what we call the Albertkanal.

Thanks again. I am happy to finally learn what that meant. I agree now also that he was more than likely at Moerdijk, even though for some reason his unit is listed as N.Z./FJR1 instead of
                      N.Z.II./FJR1.

EQ

Comment

One final note. For those wondering why his service ends after Norway ( Oslo ), it seems he died as the result of some sort of accident on the fist of March, 1941.

Comment

HattenHAUR (his spelling) vs HattenHAUER (clerk's spelling)...

it does NOT say "HattenBAUM!"

Compare the two-bumps "m" in his signed Joachim and the final r in his signed last name which looks like an inverted v. Ditto in the clerk's version: after the looped German second h which looks like our version of a written small f, a u (with "banana" above) e and very clear final r, looking like a v in the clerk's writing. BTW young Joachim had very "modern" penmanship and wrote with an above ground second h (no bottom there) in his signature.

Simply observe the clerk's version "Hattenhauer" compared to birthplace Magdeburg and nationality Deutsche. All ve vant ist für det pur Mann to haf his right name back!--

That's Richard Robert Leonard August JOACHIM HattenHauR to youse! He was a one man squad!

Oi vay, this is how I learned to write German! Where's Fellow Oldie Bernhard when I need Penmanship Police reinforcements? Akira was right to begin with!

Comment

Hi Eric and all others,

Just checked the Volksbund:

It says:
                            HATTENHAUER
                            Joachim Robert Aug. Leonow
                            Feldwebel
                            Magdeburg
                            Res.Laz.II.Halle/Saale

yours Eric

Comment

Well, a lot happened after I posted my message Glad to see that I passed this <i>exam</i>...

Regarding his fate: <i>Nach Ungl&uuml;cksfall im Lazarett Halle (Saale) verstorben</i> --- possibly a parachute failure?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X