Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soldat Vol. 8

Hi all,

I just get a copy of Soldat Vol.8 concerning FJ which has been published by October 2000. I am bit worried about lines like :

Page V :
    "I was right and this lead to many interesting meetings to include one with Oberstleutnant Walter Koch who led the assault on Eben-Emael". wrote Cyrus A. Lee

page 51 :
    "An unidentified Fallschirmjaeger Oberstabsarzt in Holland (possibly Dr. med. Gabler)..." caption wrote by C. Mason.

At first I will be please to have the address of Walter Koch and at second I wondering how could you put of picture of Dr. Neumann on page 43 in a book and not able to recognise him on page 51 ?

Any comments...

Jean-Yves

Jean-Yves,

I discussed these and a couple of other minor points with Chris after he sent me the book. I think it is one of those things were they just weren't caught before the book went to print. No doubt that Mr.Lee was referring to Rudolf Witzig and not Walter Koch, whom, as you know, has been dead for almost 60 years.

Overall I really liked the book, but I think the one thing that bothered me the most is the 4 pocket blouse on the front cover. I am pretty sure that this piece is one which originally belonged to me. A friend of mine who collects US paratrooper material, actually pulled this piece out of the atic of a widow in the LA area
    ( I know that is always the story but true in this case ). He didn't really know the first thing about it when he called me.

The tunic was marked to Stab II./FJR1 and named to a Fw.HAUG.
    Although he was an NCO there was a EM hand embroidered sleeveband ( FJR1 ) on the jacket. Here it is when I owned it.

I had to get rid of it when I needed some funds for some army material. And now it is on the cover of this book ( I have been told it is the same tunice ) with a reproduction FJR 1 NCO sleeveband.

Its really too bad to mess with, and in my opinion ruin an original jacket like this ( if it is indeed the same one )

Anyway, personally, I really liked Chris' book overall.

EQ
    Last edited by Eric Queen; 03-27-2002, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Eric,

I think that for the price and the size, you have a reasonnable and intelligent book. But I think, that the author is not totally controlling the subject.

Page 29 : ...personnel prepare supply canisters for the bomb racks of a Ju 52 from LLG1... I am not sure but I think that the designation of the Gruppe is not correct.

Like you I find something which is belonging to me. The picture page 259, top left, is coming from one of my FJ photo-album. I probably gave a copy of this picture to somebody....

Anyway, I would be pleased to hear more guys about this book.

JYN

Comment

Chris Mason's Soldat

Since I photographed the cover of Soldat for Chris I should respond to the comments Eric made concerning the Haug tunic. First, it is indeed the tunic that Eric once owned. Second, to ease his concern, the cuff title is NOT attached to the tunic, but simply 'wrapped' around the sleeve for the photo. The owner of the tunic, whom Eric will know, would never tamper with or alter militeria; nor would I.

Haug was an NCO, had I known he worn an EM title I would have wrapped a real EM title around the sleeve for the photo. It's important to note that Haug was Squad V leader in the Granite glider assault on Eben-Emael. This is a significant tunic.

There are things in Chris's text that I disagree with, but all in all, I think the book in a good contribution to Fj history and reference.
        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X