Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Para Ammo Bandoliers

Hi guys,

I`m currently considering the purchase of a para ammo bandolier for my collection and was just wondering what type of things i should take note of to ensure I dont end up with a repro. I have seen the type of repros offered on ebay but they all look like they were made yesterday which is good for us collectors. However are there any really dangerous fakes out there that I should know about and avoid? I`d appreciate any and all info.

btw I`m after a blue bandolier as opposed to one of the tan or camo versions. Also anyone offer a rough price guide?

Regards,

Des

So no one knows anything about these bandoliers then?

Comment

I have one, but

don't know much about them. Mine was a vet purchase that came with a para helmet. Instead of the larger snaps (approx 15 mm), mine has smaller (approx 9 or 10 mm) dark green STOCKO marked snaps. I wouldn't even try to buy a camo para bandolier today on the open market, as I wouldn't know good from bad (other than if they used PRYM Original snaps or US made snaps). The material used on mine is an olive (rayon) and very soft. It's almost identical to some material inside of a German rucksack I have. It's RBNr 'ed and dated 1944. Very heavily stitched with thinner thread (rugged construction). Construction and pattern compares favorably to the ones in Vol. 2 in the color Bender book Uniforms and Tradition of the Luftwaffe. Sorry I can't be of more help.

If I'm not mistaken, FJ Komet knows something of these bandoliers.

Mine can be seen in not much detail at the following link. Scroll down a photo or so. I currently have no capability to post any photos. Sorry.

http://daggers.infopop.net/2/OpenTop...3&m=6343000424
      Last edited by Steve in Florida; 03-30-2002, 10:50 PM.

Comment

I forgot..........

I paid about $200 for it about 3 years ago. N&T Global Trading has the blue and camo ones for about $900, last I saw, IIRC.

The copies go for about $100.

Comment

I bought a late war (1944 dated), tan bandoleer yesterday at the Nashville military show for $250. I'll post a photo of it tonight to give you a look at it. Good show. Got it, a 1938 dated set of brown lightweight y straps that were LBA marked and a near mint, matching set of brown ammo pouches, 1938 dated that are also LBA marked. Tough lufty stuff to find.

Comment

Steve and Jack,

Thanks for replying. Bill Shea had 2 for sale on his website a little while back for about $450 each.
            Jack, your one for $250 sounds like a bargain. Cant wait to see the photos. I do have the bender books on the Luftwaffe but its quite hard to make out any of the finer details from his photos.

Steve, followed your link but could`nt see your bandolier? Must be blind. It should be Maitland Show display photos right?

Thanks guys,

Des

Comment

Bandoleer

Des, I'll be posting a photo of it under a separate heading. I've taken a few photos of my uniforms and will be posting a thread on it for everyone to view and criticize!

Comment

Des

There should be two photos on that link. The top photo is of a bunch of SS uniforms. The second photo has some Allied uniforms. My para is to the extreme left of the photo. He is partially cut off. Sorry the detail is so bad. I don't have access to a digital camera right now and my scanner is toes up, otherwise, I'd post some photos.

Comment

Hi Des,

Regarding the blue bandoleer, there are actually 3 different types.

The first type ( produced in 1937 ) had two snaps on each flap and is extremely rare ( probably less than 5 exist )

The second type ( 1940 ) had square/angular flaps and is somewhat scarce ( probably twice the price of the round flap version )

And finally the most common round flap version ( which I believe was produced from 1942 )

Hope this helps a little.

Eric

Comment

Eric,

thats some helpful info. Appreciated! Thank you

Regards,

Des

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X