Lakesidetrader

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you see from operation "Yellow"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you see from operation "Yellow"?

I would be really interested in hearing what you you guys see in the way of paper from operation "Gelb" ( the taking of "Festung Holland" ). As someone who is interested in mainly paper from operation "Merkur" and before, I am always looking for anything having to do with Holland, especially the rail and road bridges going accross the Hollandische diep/Dordsche-Kil ( the Mass ) at Moerdijk. I have to say though, that I see very little of it available, especially from the airfield at Valkenburg ( FJR2 ).

Here is an EKII document awarded to Hans Guntermann for the taking of Valkenburg ( its interesting that this was not awarded untill months after the operation ( Nov.40 ), but the EK docs given to FJR1 were awarded only days after the operation ( May 18th/23rd )).

Guntermann was also awarded the "Ehrenschale" for the jump on the island of LEROS.

and a letter from Martin KUEHNE ( RK winner for Leros ) to Guntermanns father telling him that his son has been awarded the Ehrenschale for Leros

Sorry that I haven't been able to color copy these yet.

EQ
    Last edited by Eric Queen; 03-04-2002, 10:01 AM.

Hi Eric,

What an oustanding grouping related to Holland and Leros. I dont' have anything related to FJR 2 and Operation "Gelb".

This photo has been taken in Werl when paratroopers were ready to board Ju 52. Before boarding Kfz.O.Insp. Heupel is posing with men from the Sanitats-Kompanie 7 of Dr. Neumann.
    You could easily see in the back a part of the code of the Ju 52 (1Z) for the Kg.z.b.V.1.

In the same kind of interest, you will find a part of a logbook from a former menber of the 3./I./Kg.z.b.V.1. who probably carried some paratroopers twice on the 10 May 1940.

Jean-Yves

Comment

Great photo Jean-Yves, I remember that one from your book. The flugbuch with the WERL entries is fanstastic as well. Can you identify this transport unit to a specific paratrooper unit ( Rgt., Batl., or Komp. level ) ? It would be interestind to know WHO exactly this guy ( from 3./I ) carried on May 10.

Speaking of Sanitat ( medical ) personnel involved in operation Yellow, here are a couple of documents to a M. Tischlinger who jumped with the army paratroopers at Moerdijk as was awarded the EKI&II for it. He was later the assistant to Dr.Hans HASS who was the long time FIK doctor from the very beginning.

Comment

Hi Eric,

Conerning your question :

- 3 Ju 52 of the Stab./Kg.z.b.V.1 are carrying the Stab and the NA zug of the FJR 1 near Twede Tol
        - 53 Ju 52 of the I./Kg.z.b.V. 1 are carrying the I./FJR 1 near the bridges of Dordrecht.
        - 53 Ju 52 of the II./Kg.z.b.V 1 are carrying the II./FJR 1 by Moerdjik bridges.
        - 53 Ju 52 of the III./Kg.z.b.V 1 are carrying the III./FJR 1 on Rotterdam/Waalhaven airfield.
        - 53 Ju 52of the IV./Kg.z.b.V.1 are carrying the II./FJR 2 by Ockenburg, Ypenburg and the 6./FJR 2 by Valkenburg.

I don't know exactly what the 3rd Staffel was transporting but it was men from the 1st Battalion.

Nice documents that you have in your collection.

Jean-Yves

Comment

Eric,

Please find a photo of the only EKII certificate I have in my collection related to Operation "Yellow".
          It was given to Adolf Müller from the 12./FJR 1 who jumped on Waalhaven airfield. You seen before his wound badge certificate for the Poland campaign.
          There is not too much difference from the one you have but I think that more examples collectors could seen , the better it is.
          I love very much the signature of Brauer as well as Ramcke 'ones !

Jean-Yves

Comment

As a document collector I see that the localitation were made with a different system that the rest, name, grade, position and date. Someone knows why was made so? I have a friend who research the "Gotz von Berlichingen" division and he could say things like the french type of writing machine that was used and identificate the clerk who wrote it.

Cheers

Angel
            Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

Comment

Jean-Yves,

Nice document from Mueller. This is the first one I have seen from
              III./FJR1 and Waalhaven. It is interesting how each unit had their own way of filling these out. I noticed with the army paratroopers of II./FJR1 that the 5th, 7th and 8th companies all used "II./FJR1" and the 6th company used "6./FJR1" ( below is an example from former FIB member Gerhard GRAMSE). It is interesting that the 12th company did not designate any unit at all.

Thanks for sharing that piece.

EQ

Comment

Hi Eric & JY , as well as the others,

Not so much news with this ones, but just to comparing with the other docs....
                The first is a EKII doc , for what I suppose (please correct me Jean Yves) a III./FJR 1 -- Notice that thise one is almost exactly the same as yours for Muller (same date 22 and the same stamp!!also with the cypher 3 beneath the swastika!!! (any idea what this is?)

The second is a mai 23 dated EK II doc for former FIK member ? Kastenholz ( II./FJR1 member - Präger) and look here the small 2 in the stamp !!! (Kastenholz was kia in Crete)

Want to share these rare photos , taking on the early morning of may 10 , 1940 - (from a III.FJR1 member) shows the terrible situation on the Dutch Airfield.

Best - Marc

Comment

Hello M

Comment

Hello Marc,

I think you have something to deal with the format of your pictures. Anyway, there is no reason to close this post but you will find a parade's photo taken by July 1940 in Braunschweig . This officer is Dr Neumann ?

Jean-Yves

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X