FJ badge that was there.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FJ badge that was there.

Here is a well worn and era repaired FJ badge that was given to me by the widow of a 34th ID veteran. She could only remember that her husband picked this up in the Cassino area from the body of a German solider. A sad story as to how the badge was acquired, but thought the repairs are interesting.

Willi
    Attached Files
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Note how the screw used to repair and secure the eagle comes out to the front of the badge and can be seen on the first view. Can anyone tell me who might have made this badge?

Willi
    Attached Files
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

HI Willi

My first impressions are that it was made by C E Juncker, an unmarked zinc version.

Regards,

Neil

Comment

The hinge and oblong catchplate say it's Juncker to me too Willi - as far as I'm aware only Juncker used that size and style catchplate on their later war zinc badges. A sad story, but a nice seasoned piece.
        ERIC

Comment

Dear Willi,

Assuming the maker is Juncker (which is very likely, since both eagle and wreath are Juncker´s design and catch is typical for Juncker zinkers too) I find it interesting to see that Juncker also used their more typical wide hinge as seen on your vet obtained example. I used to have one in my collection that has a narrower hinge, see below.
          It is also interesting to note that on practically all these zinc Junckers I have seen, the reverse of the eagle seems to have been finished in silver, only the obverse of the eagle is golden. I think that is also the case with your eagle, right?

Cheers, Frank
          Cheers, Frank

Comment

reverse
            Attached Files
            Cheers, Frank

Comment

Concur

I agree most likely a Juncker. that hinge assembly/catchplate is consistent with one's I've had/handled. Interesting that the early/mid-war wide hinge is on this badge, combined with the late-war plate/catch assembly.
              Sad story....., but an interesting badge with the amount of work he went to to keep it pinned to his breast!

Comment

Thanks guys! Frank, I agree that the back of the eagle is/was finished in silver.

Clearly, the FJ who wore this badge took great pride in it, to have gone to that effort in repairing it. That generation of German (my parents included) also never threw anything away, and did the best to make use of what was available. I assume the clasp was damaged when the badge was ripped from the tunic. Seems that few GIs would have taken the time to properly open the pin in that situation.

Willi
                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X