Wo ist Schoppen, Montenau & Thirimont?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wo ist Schoppen, Montenau & Thirimont?

Think Ardennes, December 1945, and the above mentioned towns, I have tried but cannot for the life of me see them on my brand spanking new Michelin map of Belgium. I know the latitude and longitude but they are not marked. Why!!
    I am tracing 3.Fsch.Division in the Ardennes in Jan 1945, but to no avail, well I would be able to if I knew where these towns are. I have searched the web and know they are in the proximity of Amel, the main town I am interested in.
    Can anyone give me directions from Amel to get to these. It would be a great help.
    All the best
    Greg Way

Municipality of Amel

Greg,

On the internet I found out that Schoppen and Montenau are incorporated into the municipality of Amel (province of Liège, see link: http://users.skynet.be/bs248831/way_to_amel.html ). I think that is the reason why you couldn't find them on the Michelin guide. Both villages are just few kilometers north west of Amel and are still located in the area where there is a German speaking minority. Before 1918 this area was still German.

The municipality of Thirimont is situated in the province of Hainaut, which is south of Brussel and has southern borders with France. This aerea wasn't touched by the fightings during the battle of the bulge. Thirimont was incorporated into Beaumont municipality in 1976 (http://www.ngw.nl/index4.htm?int/bel/t.htm), however I can't find this town on the internet.

I hope that this helped you.

Claudio

Comment

many thanks for your help

Thank you for helping out. Gives me something to go on now.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X