SS sleeve eagle on jump smock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS sleeve eagle on jump smock

I am not sure I have ever seen this before. I know SS paratroopers were issued smocks, etc. from existing Lw. stocks, and in most cases they removed the Lw. breast eagles ( like the army paratroopers scraped the Lw. decal off the sides of their helmets when they were given the Lw. helmet instead of the army one ). Until this photo I have never seen evidence that they wore the SS sleeve eagle on the smock. Has anyone else seen anything similar to this?

Not here! That's a definite first for me. I doubt many others have seen such a photograph either. Fantastic pic - how did you get it?
    ERIC

Comment

Once again Eric, a great pic!!! I have heard that this was done..Luft eagle removed and SS eagle added. Next thing you are going to find a pic of a SS para with a SS decal on his helmet........... a pic would be the only way most would believe that one, as I am sure you would agree.

WZ
      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Willi,

I agree with you on this one. Unfortunately, a period photograph would be the only way I would be convinced ( although I do believe that it is possible ). Who knows, conventional wisdom has been proven wrong before, as in the case of the "SS Fallschirmjager" sleeveband when Eifler's photo showed up in that album.

Here are a couple of images of helmets that have been sent to me
        THESE DO NOT BELONG TO ME. I am merley posting them here for discussion. It would be interesting to see what Perry has to say about these as well.

Comment

Eric,

Yes, I do believe it could be possible. But, I have seen about 2 dozen FJ helmets with SS decals over the years........none seemed convincing when examined closely. They all, like the two you posted, exhibited wear on the decal which look like scratches instead of nice uniform wear patterns. Those knowledgable with SS decals, and I am not one fo them, have dismissed all the ones that I have seen...... And, I am sure you knwo what Barry S. thinks of them.

WZ
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X