What do you want most ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you want most ?

If you could have any German paratrooper item what would it be?

I am curious as to what everyone would pick. I have thought about this for quite some time, and although its a very hard choice, I think I would love to have some type of unit specific embroidered piece like a trumpet banner ( with the Army eagle on one side and "Fallschirm Jnf.- Komp." on the other side). Alas, I know its only a dream ( unless I want one made in Pakistan ), but sometimes its fun to dream.

How about everyone else. If you had a choice of anything what you would choose? It doesn't have to be something rare.

Thanks,

Eric

While its not just associated with the paras, I would like an MP40. I understand that originals are still on Crete and are owned by civilians who have had them since the invasion taking them from the prisoners and dead paratroopers.
    Greg

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.

Comment

Hi Eric,

As a former german helmets collector, each time I open the book "Fallschirmjäger" by Thomas Mc Guirl and Uwe Feist - Ryton Publication 1993 1st Ed., I become completely crazy when I see in page 189, 190 & 191, a Luftwaffe DD M.38 - Collection Bayerisches Armeemuseum - This helmet is so beautiful, not mint, but nearly mint....just this little patina..I love, it's a dream for me.

I'm not dreaming about very first type Her DD, the reason perhaps was I was never looking around for this model.

And just after F.G. 42 bandoliers, much rarer than the F.G. by itself.

Best regards,

Philippe Letonturier
      Paris - France
      (majorplm@bigfoot.com)

Comment

Hi Eric,

Three items come to mind. A silver Army Paratrooper badge with an inscription, a set of documents with photographs to a German Cross in Gold recipient, and/or a Knights Cross grouping to an Army Paratrooper. Any one of the three would be fantastic! I hope I'm not asking for too much?

Awhile back you mentioned in a thread that an Army Paratrooper had transfered to a different branch of the Luftwaffe and was awarded a Honor Goblet. Now wouldn't it be great to aquire something like that.

John Garcia
        Last edited by jgarcia; 02-09-2002, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Well,

I think I have got all the kind of documents related to FJ from RGG, Sturm-Regiment to Btl. 500/600. Last year, the thing that I was looking for was a FJ Flugbuch. Now I have three.. I think I would like a simply LW para badge which was owned by one of the vet I know.
          Have a look on my post Drop Zone !
          Jean-Yves Nasse

Comment

I would love to have the private purchase silver named Heer Paratroop Badge. Condition is not important. It has been a dream and I have never had the opportunity to own one.

Bob Hritz
            In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Well if Santa came early this year, I would definitely ask for a pre war cased Junker para badge. You just cannot beat Junker for quality of workmanship.

Comment

Definately an FG42! I would take either the early or later model. This is just an awesome weapon, and were only made in limited numbers! When I went to the FBI building last year I saw three of them in thier fireams storage room. They were beautiful, and it ticked me off that they were just sitting there, locked up, collecting dust!!!! I also saw two beutiful ones in the US army ordanace museum! I would love to have just one! If anyone has one, please let me know!
                Matt
                Last edited by Matt Weber; 02-09-2002, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Matt,
                  You have made me a happy man indeed.
                  I remember going to the FBI building about 12 years ago, seeing the weapons room and being told that they destroy weapond that were confiscated. I almost cried when I saw a FG42 on a rack.... I guess its still there then...Phew!!!

Comment

I would take one of the only M37 FJ helmets I have ever seen that was original. This was upgraded with a M38 liner and was recently discovered in a barn in Norway. Mice have eaten part of the liner. It is clearly a veteran of the 1940 Norway campaign and has never been played with. It is even named. I took many super detailed photos of it when I had it in my home for a month to study it and photograph it for a future work. It just "talks to you"........

On FG42s, there are many in collections here in the US. I know a guy who owns 8 of them..another owns 6..many with scopes and mounts. They are around, just expensive!!! In fact, my FJ re-enactment unit is holidng a live-fire full auto shoot in April....where my guys will get to fire a 1st model and a 2nd model........we will have some FJ veterans with us who will also be welcome to fire them. Also, the full array of German weapons will be fired. God bless America for still being able to do this..for now......

WZ
                    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Willi,

Was the helmet you saw a M-37 convert ( with 2 slits ( 1 on each side ) in the rim ) or a M-36 convert ( with 4 slits ( 2 on each side )in the rim ).

I think these helmets are by far rarer than people think. A discussion on the flood of M-37's that started to appear in the early 90's would be interesting.

Eric

Comment

Eric,

This helmet has 4 reinforced slits on the helmet. Clearly made from a M35 double decal Luft in apple green. Early Luft eagle. It is clearly obvious that the conversion was done by the factory..."ET". They rerolled the rim.........restamped the maker mark. Proof that these helmets were reissued before the war and after the M38 became available. When they put the 4 holes in the helmet to accept the M38 liner, they had to remove the side M35 style side washers/vents. As one FJ veteran observed when I showed him the helmet......." a clear example of pre-war German workmanship". Unlike this batch (over the last 10 years) of repro M37s.......with unconverted liners and also made from M35s..but, lack the workmanship of something done by a craftsman. Though they have made their way into many collections...most now believe they were ripped off. I think many have traced them to Italy.

WZ
                        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

What would I like

I would like the wristwatch given to Gerhart Schimer by Walther Koch on the eve of Schirmer's departure to Afrika in 1942. What a piece. Now owned by a guy in OZ.

Comment

Greetings one and all,

Every year when I blow out the candles of my birthday cake I make a wish. For the last fifteen years I have wished for a Luftwaffe tropical tunic complete with a Luftwaffe Afrika cuff title that is original to the tunic.

They say that you should not disclose what you wished for. However I don't think keeping my wish a secret for fifteen years has helped me.

Nevertheless, having said this, I would dearly like to own a Fallschirmjäger grouping that includes everything that the jäger was issued. This would include the jäger's Wehrpass, Soldbuch, Fallschirmschutzenschein, jump log (if he had one), award certificates for the Fallschirmschutzenabzeichen, Narvik Schild, Kreta cuff title, Iron Cross, first and second classes, as well as his uniform complete with his original awards, his jump smock and his helmet. Through in, lets say 400 photographs, and I would be very happy.

Every Fallschirmjäger grouping that I have seen for sale or auction included only some of the items I have referred to above. However I can't believe that such large groupings do not exist.

What do you want Eric?

All the best,

Ian

Comment

Hello Eric,

For me it would definatley be an Army para badge any would do just as long as it was original or a cased junker luftwaffe para badge !
                              not asking for much eh !

Cheers

Grant

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X