Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drop Zone

Hello,

This is nearly the end of the week and I realised that I wrote a lot about a nice DKG 2./Sturm-Rgt. Grouping that I had a long time ago and I totally forget about an aerial reco' photo which I had with the documents.
    This photo was stucked behind the SB passbild, so it is not big. The former menber of the Sturm-Regiment participated at the attack of the Veldwezelt Bridge on 10 May 1940 (glider) and then after at the Hill 107 (Glider).
    Any idea if FJ had photos like this one before their mission ?
    Any pro' of air reco pictures ? You could see a red mark ? Is it the Drop Zone or something related to artillery ?
    Thank you in advance and have a nice weekend.

Jean-Yves

Thank for your help !
    Jean-Yves NASSE

Comment

Jean-Yves,

Unfortunately, I cannot answer your questions with any certainty.

I cannot imagine why individual paratroopers would be given this type of aerial recon photography prior to a jump. The veterans I have spoken with did not mention anything about this. Most were verbally informed of the mission and objectives the night before at the staging area. I doubt that many, if any, were even showed this type of photography prior to the jump, let alone given the photographs. Its just a guess, but I would think that this was something that this person obtained after the fact ( after the jump/glider assault ) and circled or indicated the area where he and his group landed. Just a guess, but to me this would make more sense.

EQ

Comment

Are you sure thats even a circled area? Looks more like something was written on there and it was cut off?

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

I thought the same thing Mark by the way the red goes into the white arrow in places. Hard to say from what's there.

Comment

I too think it is the letter "G", the start of a word......by the way it is cut off, it looks like it is just part of a larger photo with a word (or series of words). Having interpreted air recon/satellite images in the military, it does not look like a drop zone......no significant terrain feature (or anything else) in the area of the red marking. Would to tough to pick an area like that, and have the jump master know when to let the guys go. Honestly, it looks like it was a large photo that was cut up for some reason...perhaps to destroy it, rather than some significant area that has been identified.

Willi
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Thank for all responses. The size is 5.30 cm/5.30 cm. It is not big. Very hard to know what it was because the Vet died few years ago and it will not be easy for me to have more info' .

JYN

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X