"800" Silver Fake APB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"800" Silver Fake APB

This badge was recently on one of the internet auctions and I thought it would be worth while for everyone to take a look at it.

If you weren't sure what to look for this could be convincing.

What I see wrong with this particular example are the following:

1. First and formost the pin. It should not be straight and narrow, but rather tapered and have a slight elongated "S" curvature to it.

2. The catch is in the middle of the wreath. It sould be at the lower edge. And opens at the left rather than the right.

3. Absence of the "800" silver stamp

4. Absence of the "U" swivel lock above the catch.

5. FIK ingraving on a FIB style badge.

I just thought someone might find this interesting.

EQ

Last edited by Eric Queen; 02-06-2002, 05:53 PM.

And I'm sure Eric shan't mind me showing you what a real 2nd pattern Fallschirmschützenabzeichen (Heer) in 800 silver by C E Juncker for private purchase should look like. No…it's not mine but I dearly wish it was. The security catch has been replaced by a bit of simple wire stock at some stage but apart from that, it's a mint, unengraved example, which suggests that nobody bought it. Very few FIK/FIB Fallschirmjäger seem to have bothered spending their hard-earned wages on these silver badges, judging by the small number known to still be in existence and by the statements of surviving members of the Fallschirm-Infanterie Kompanie and Bataillon when spoken to over the past couple of decades.

In addition to its other shortcomings, the engraving on the fake shown by Eric is inaccurate in terms of style or 'calligraphy'. The name and number may have been taken from a soldbuch, parachute licence or award certificate. Another example of a questionable 800 silver APB can be found in Forman's latest guide, the badge engraved with Büttner's details. Apart from the fact that it looks a bit funny, Büttner himself apparently never mentioned ever having owned a silver badge or having sold one when he disposed of all his documents and awards. As for the value quoted by Forman: I'll happily give him $3000 for any GENUINE 800 silver APB he offers me!

Prosper Keating
    Last edited by Prosper Keating; 02-06-2002, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Here is a far more convincing one ( named to army paratrooper RK winner Capt. Fritz Prager no less !! ( RK for Moerdijk opperation , May 1940 ) ). I have seem 4 of these in the last 6 months. I don't know where or when they were made. Very nicely made though, and very convincing if you have not seen the real ones.

Comment

Ah yes, Prager. He died of cancer in December 1940, didn't he? This 'Prager Badge' is well made and could easily fool people who had never seen one or people who had never bothered to research their subject before handing their money over but like the copies of the aluminium APBs, it isn't a patch on the real thing side-by-side. The engraving is almost there but not quite. In fact, compared to the very distinct style of engraving on prewar originals, it is nothing like it.

Prosper Keating

Comment

I'm admittedly among the unannointed masses on these, but concerning the engraving... If these were named 50-odd years ago, and considering they are 800 silver content, wouldn't one expect to see more toning on the engraving on original examples? This appears to be quite bright (rightly so since it's a repro). Just wondering if this is a helpful indicator of originality.

Adam

Comment

Adam

Good point! I have an engraved 800 silver naval goblet where the engraving has gone black. The only thing is, patina can be easily added to real silver through the use of a mild acid (I can't remember which type of acid though).

Rich
            Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
            Decorations of Germany

Comment

Guys,

I just saw a named APB (Oblt Schramm or something) that was a clear reproduction. The dealer (who sells repro items to re-enactors) told me he got it in Germany and they are now being made in Hungary. He also had a Luft FJ badge...and all the other Luft aircrew type badges. I looked at a Cross in Gold and another in Silver that he brought back too...they looked very good! They were not yet aged, but many of the features were an improvement over what has been available in the past. He was selling most of them for $125 each........and $500 for the crosses in gold and silver.

WZ
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X