Afrika/para badge document opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afrika/para badge document opinion

Guys, I got offered 2 documents of the same man. Para badge and Afrika, I have concerns on both.
    I don´t have the docs in flesh, so I did the possible with my software..
    Attached Files

detail
    Attached Files

Comment

how big are the chances that they forgot the number "2" in the document? I would have less doubts in 1945..
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Edgar Alcidi; 01-11-2008, 09:49 AM.

Comment

afrika
        Attached Files

Comment

what do you think?
          Edgar
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Edgar,

The date is here. Still would like better photos, the paper looks odd, but this could simply be the photography. They look ok so far.
            Regards,
            John
            Attached Files
            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

John, do you see the 194. They forgot the 2 of 1942. Usually you get both dates with 42. These are the only pics I have.
              Edgar
              Last edited by Edgar Alcidi; 01-12-2008, 02:17 AM.

Comment

This is what I mean John:
                Attached Files

Comment

For some reason I have found quite a few errors on afrika cuff documants. May own document for a lt in the 326 had his unit mistyped as 362.

Comment

Printing Press

Another good check is to look closley at the letters on the back of the documents. With a x10 loop you should see little raised areas where the letters were pressed by the old school printing press. You should also look at the edges of the lettering on the front; the edges of the letters should look thicker' with ink, which makes sense because printer pressed the ink outwards. Anyway, many modern copies use regular modern printers that don't show these details. I'm not saying this is the only check to make, but it's definately a good sign of originality.

John

Comment

thanks for the help John and vacollector. I got additional pics from the seller:
                      Attached Files

Comment

second
                        Attached Files

Comment

texwiller,
                          yea, you need a x10 loop or some type of magnification to look at the lettering. When you do, my last post will make sense. You should see a raised area on the back where the letter was 'pressed' out and the excessink on the front edge of the letters. It's tough without magnification.

I think I see the watermark on the badge document, which is good.

John

Comment

Thought I recognised the name.....these have already been discussed http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=256885
                            Photos/images copyright © Ian Jewison collection

Collecting interests: Cavalry units, 1 Kavallerie/24 Panzer Division, Stukageschwader 1

Comment

Johnc, I do not have the docs in my hands, that´s why I cannot use a loop.

Ian, thanks for your Elephant memory...I wanted to buy both for my own collection, but I don´t like "touched" docs, if you understand what I mean. Both are probably originals, but I will pass here.
                              Edgar

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X