Fallschirmjäger Bio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fallschirmjäger Bio

My father volunteered for service with the Fallschirmtruppe in the summer of 1941 at Pforzheim. As he was not yet 18 years of age he needed parental consent to join, his mother wasn't going to sign (his father died in 1930) so he forged her signature.

In August of 1941 he was enlisted into the 5. Kompanie, Flieger-Ausbildungs-Regiment 31 for basic training at Hilversum, Holland. After basic training he was sent for jump training to the 4. Schüler-Kompanie Fallschirmschule Wittstock/Dosse, Germany. Once he had completed his Para training and graduated in the spring of 1942, he was placed in the 2. Kompanie Fallschirm-Pionier Battalion stationed at Dessau-Kochstedt. This unit became part of the Fallschirm-Brigade Ramke.

In late July of 1942 they were transported by train from Berlin to Athens, Greece. In August from Tatoi airfield, first flown to Maleme, Crete and then to Tobruk in North Africa. There they joined the rest of the new Brigade. His commanding officer at that time was the Knight's cross recipient Oberleutnant Cord Tietjen (Tietjen as captured and taken prisoner by the Americans in Tunisia in the Spring of 43). At over 42 degrees summer heat they began the trip by truck and partly on foot the El Alamein front and subsequently into the Qattara Depression.

My father took part in the fighting at Bab el Qattara from October 23rd to November 2nd 1942, took part in the seizure of a British Army convoy on November 5th. After a crueling march through the dessert the paras made it to Fuka and joined the Afrikakorps again in Tunisia. Weaked by the ordeal he contracted a tropical disease and had to be hopitalized, he was flown out of North Africa before the surrender of the German army in Tunisia.

In May of 1943 (now in the Staff coy of the 2nd Para Combat Engineer Battalion), he was back in Germany for rest and refitting. On May 2nd his unit was moved by rail to the south of France. The Pioniere now became part of the recently raised 2. Fallschirmjäger Division.

On July 26th 1943, the 2nd Para Division was sent to Italy.
    Within 48 hours, 20 000 men and accompanying equipment were moved in 90 JU52's, 45 HEIII's and 80 Gliders. My father was aboard a HEIII that landed at the Practica de Mare airfield.

On 10th September 1943, the Paras moved over the Via Ostiense into Rome to seize the Italian garrison stationed there. My dad told me; "I stopped a pro-Badoglio officer and he surrendered his Berreta pistol to me. I noticed the nice riding boots that the Tenente was wearing and made him switch with my old Springer-Stiefel" (jump boots).

In November 1943, the 2nd Para Division was sent by rail to Zhitomir in Russia. They had no idea where they were actually going. It was very cold and they only changed their tropical uniforms for winter ones after reaching Germany via the Alps and Austria.

On November 24th, my father took part in the heavy fighting at the airfield east of Zhitomir. In December, Fallschirm-Pionier Battalion 2 led by Hauptmann Siegfried Gerstner was fighting alongside the 1st SS Panzer Division. My father was wounded by shrapnel in the right shoulder on December 8th 1943 and on the 10th December was flown to Germany for hospitalization (Fallschirmjäger Genesungs-Bataillon Aschersleben).

From the 5th-21st February 1944, now promoted to the rank of Gefreiter my father had recuperation leave (Genesungsurlaub).

After his leave he was transferred to the 1st coy, Panzer-Jäger Abteilung of the 1st Fallschirmjäger Division. From March to April 1944, he was serving as an instructor in Konitz with the IX SA Standarte "Feldherrenhalle" 1.Sturm.

May 1944, he was back in Italy with the 1./Fallschirm-Panzer-Jäger-Abteilung 1 (Anti tank unit) just in time for the third battle at Monte Cassino.

On September 1st 1944, he was wounded for the second time during heavy fighting against the US 5th Army in the Bologna area.

On 1st March 1945, my father was promoted to Oberjäger and on 20th March was given combat leave to go home.

When he arrived in Germany he realized that the war was nearly at an end. Cities were devastated, the railroads had been destroyed and the Allies were pushing into Germany from every border. The city of Pforzheim had been completely destroyed by Allied bombing the previous month. When he arrived in Pforzheim he walked the 18km to his hometown.

.....bach had a population of 2500 and had not been touched by the war. He learned from his mother that his elder brother was missing at Stalingrad and is presumed dead.

In the first days of April 1945, the French Army had crossed the Rhine near Karlsruhe only 20km's away. My Grandmother told my father that she is not going to lose him as well, that he must stay and surrender to the Allies.

On April 8th the French colonial Army entered the town. From a hill in the south a Volksgrenadier unit began firing their artillery at the French. The town came under fire and some civilians were killed and wounded. A boy, severely wounded in the leg, was placed by my father in a sidecar of a motorcycle and taken to an allied field dressing station where he surrendered.

He was handed over to the Americans and sent to a POW camp in Heilbronn, 50km's from his home. The conditions were poor and they slept in tents. My father was released from the POW camp on the 9th September 1945 as semi-disabled. He was 21 years old.

Father passed away at the age of 58 in 1982, following a heart attack.

During his service as a Fallschirmjäger, he was awarded the following:

Iron Cross 2nd Class
    Wound Badge in Black
    Luftwaffe Ground Combat Badge
    Paratrooper Qualification Badge
    "AFRIKA" cuff title

Participated in Battles:

El Alamein; North Africa, October - November 1942
    Occupation of Rome, September 1943
    Zhitomir; Russia, November - December 1943
    Monte Cassino (third battle) May 1944
    Retreat battles in Northern Italy (Bologna, Imola)
    Last edited by naxos; 01-14-2008, 05:05 AM. Reason: correcton of grammar

What a very interesting and detailed post. I enjoyed reading it. I guess you were fortunate to get your father service history before he passed away. Thanks again for the post.

Cheers

Scott

Comment

Hi Naxos, thanks for sharing the story! Do you know more details about the North-africa campaign?
      I would like to see the entries in the WP, if possible for you.
      Edgar
      Last edited by Edgar Alcidi; 01-11-2008, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Fantastic! Incredible service; I wish I had had this with details from Afrika for my book.
        Thanks,
        John
        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Yeah John, he was one of the 600 in the Ramcke´s group..

Comment

thank you for the story,very very interesting

Comment

Thanks for sharing your father's amazing military service.
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for this naxos,he shure saw a lot in his time as a FJ,as seems many who served in it did.Like moving around on all fronts etc....
                On the bologna part,maybe lucky as many FJ where killed later on i have read in the Po river battles trying to defend against the new zelanders and greeks i read.Like the artillery barrage and planes i think too,and flamethrowers where devestaing on the FJ.

One FJ said it was the worst barrage he had ever seen,need to find the info later on if i can.And also thinking of a thread on this maybe if any had pictures,maps(FJ positions on them)of these last battles of the FJ in northern italy in 1945.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_...nsive_in_Italy

Comment

Hi Fallschirmjäger Heritage Compilers!

i am just an American Guy living here in Germany who is putting a book together
                  on Islam and Germany 1700 to Present.

Kindly request fotos documents scans FJR5 Papa Ramcke / von der Heydte Men
                  in Tunisia... the "600".

I knew personally an Afrika Panzer Driver, Abdulschakoor KUNZE ,who was left behind in Tunisia and reverted to Islam (not the only one by far)during US POW time in part because of his vivid N.African experience.

Have alot of rare stuff 13thSS Handschar and Indische Legion WH/SS.
                  Not to mention origanl fotos of SS Obergruppenführer Wolff
                  ( I am a personal friend of his daughter....sorry about the braggin

was wondering if you guys could eventually.....
                  kindly supply me with some "Outstanding Fallschirmjäger/DAKPhotos in North Africa possibly with Native Arab-Bedouins or with Mosques

Just to clarify for you so i dont give you a "Collector´s
                  Heart Attack"....

I need to show how closely the normal german soldier got in contact with the local populace.

I ´ve got the original German Army Libya Handbook
                  some photos and straight from the vet´s mouth stories..
                  even a Fallschirmjäger who was a former SeaPlan rescue Pilot in the Adria
                  who because of lack of Fuel was "retrained" as a FJ

i´ve got even german magazine war period article about arab-bedouin Fallschirmjäger.

I would be very much obliged if you can help out in any way possible.

Will list you Guys as source and finacial renumeration.

Raschid

Comment

Originally posted by Raschid View Post
                    i´ve got even german magazine war period article about arab-bedouin Fallschirmjäger.
                    Please tell us about the article Raschid; I wanted to include a section on them in my book but could not learn enough to do so.
                    Thanks,
                    John
                    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

FJ story

NAXOS

Thanks for sharing the amazing story of your father. My father was in the British RAF, but I unfortunatly didn't get mucy of his story before he passed away in 1981.

Comment

Thank you welshreddragon;

I know what you mean ...same here - it was difficult to get anything out of the old man, besides the odd anecdote from him, most of my information is from his documents.
                        He was a quiet man when it came to the war, he rather talked about dogs and horses.

Regards, Hardy

Comment

Raschid,
                          sorry I have no details regarding Bedouins.

The only picture I have, that shows paratroopers and bedouins, is from an old book. You might have seen it before.

Regards, Hardy

Comment

Interesting photos Hardy!

It is the same with my Dad. He has only shared a few details of his service in the Luftwaffe ('42-'45) all these years. Each time I am with him I push for more details. He flew missions in Russia in 1943, from Greece to Italy in late '43, in Italy in '44, almost became a late-war FJ in November of '44 when his unit lost all their Ju88s, and was extremely lucky to have ended the war still flying in Northern Germany.

In my opinion it is all about their wartimes experiences and the losses they suffered to their homes/families.

Originally posted by naxos View Post
                            Thank you welshreddragon;

I know what you mean ...same here - it was difficult to get anything out of the old man, besides the odd anecdote from him, most of my information is from his documents.
                            He was a quiet man when it came to the war, he rather talked about dogs and horses.

Regards, Hardy
                            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Very interesting story!
                              I live in Hilversum and I know that the Atlantic Wall HQ was stationed here, but that FJ's were trained here I did not knew.
                              You're leaning new things every day!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X