EpicArtifacts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another APB from original owners family on its way !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another APB from original owners family on its way !!

For me, this is was a bit of bittersweet news. Last October, my friend and former FIK member Mr.Helwig unfortunately passed away. He was a very nice man and I visited his home several times during my stays in Germany. I received a number of things from him, including his soldbuch, a few photographs ( including the one pictured ) and a nice hand painted FIK plate.

Last month I was contacted by the family with the news that they had found a box which contained a number of his awards. Within the last few days they have decided to part with the items and we have settled upon a fair price. The box contained his APB, Erdkampfabz., Kretaband, EKI ( cased ), EKII, Oct.38 medal ( cased ) and the wound badge in black. It also contained another badge which I can not tell what it is from the discription ( it may not be military ).

They will be sending me the items this week. I will post pictures of the badge here after it arrives. It will be real interesting to see what type it is.

I leave tomorrow for Japan and will be back on Sunday. The package should arrive right after I get back.

Here is a portrait photo taken in Italy in 1943

Here I am at his house with Mrs.Helwig

I was told that the package was mailed this Monday so it should be here anyday now. I am hoping today or tomorrow. In the meantime, I thought I would post a couple more things from Mr.Helwig.

Here is the awards page of his soldbuch. Notice the entry for the "Fallschirmschuetzenabzeichen ( Infanterie )"

Here he is ( back row, far left next to Konrad "Koni" Poerner ) in Stendal in the fall of 1938. Notice the M38 jumpsmocks with the army eagles.

I will post images of the badge and the other stuff as soon as it arrives.

EQ
    Last edited by Eric Queen; 02-01-2002, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Finally !!

I finally received the stull in the mail today. To me it was more than worth the wait.

Here is the badge. It is a second "standard" model in aluminum.

The badge is exact in every way to all the other one the vets had.

Here is the entire gouping.

Last edited by Eric Queen; 02-07-2002, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Hi Eric,

That is why I love to receive Mail !

A very nice grouping. Again, I am surprised and happy to see that the APB entry has been probably made by 1941 when he was in the FJR 3. Or it is a Soldbuch-Duplicata ? I have got also documents when badges have been given a long time ago after they have been awarded. Very nice indeed, ....

Jean-Yves

Comment

Great to see another group saved from being broken up and dispersed! Well done, Eric! Incredible photos too. The group shot from Stendal in '38 is particularly touching when one imagines how many of his mates didn't make it.

Prosper

Comment

A beautiful set!

Eric,

Congratulations on being able to preserve this gorgeous set. It certainly is striking.
            Cheers,

Bill Moran

Comment

Jean-Yves,

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it. Regarding the soldbuch, it is his first ( original ) issue, and the badge entry was done I am sure when the book was issued. Most all soldbuchs to ex. army paratroopers were issued on the same day, September 2, 1939. Everyone I have seen has been issued on this day ( at least 9 months ( and in some cases as much as 2 years ) after the awarding of the badge ).

I have seen books with ( Heer ), ( Infanterie ) or ( H ) noted after the badge ( in some cases, sadly, there was no notation )

EQ
              Last edited by Eric Queen; 02-07-2002, 11:32 PM.

Comment

LW Erdkampfabzeichen

Hi Eric,

A very nice grouping! My question/request is actually about the LW Erdkampfabzeichen though. I'm assuming that the badge in his wartime photo is the same one in the grouping. The then and now shots highlight the deterioration in the silver finish on what appears to be a finezinc (alloy) badge. The soldbuch entry for this award looks like July 1942 - am I correct? Could you please post an image of the reverse of the Erdkampfabzeichen. I'd like to get a better handle on who was making this type of needle-pinned zinc badge so soon after the awards' 31 March '42 authorisation/institution.

Thanks
                Mike K
                Regards
                Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Mike,

Yes the entry for the erdkampabz. d. LW is dated July, 10 1942.

I would assume that this is his original issue badge. Although most of the wash has worn of the wreath, the quality is superb. The eagle is a separate piece and very detailed. Unlike many of the late war, one piece examples I have seen.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the rapid response! One more question, is the roundwire catch on a rectangular basplate or is that silver "rectangle" formed by the original finish being preferentially retained on a rectangle of "solder". I've seen the latter effect before, but I can't make out which is the case from the image.

Regards
                    Mike K
                    Regards
                    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Eric,

Concerning what I wrote before : it is because I just checked the Felpost Nummern 31526 for 4./FJR 3.

JYN

Comment

Mike,

The "C" form catch is applied to a silver like baseplate which has been applied to the wreath.

Jean-Yves,

Very good point. With that stamp ( 4./FJR3 ) and also the fact that the EKII is there ( 18.5.40 ) the notations had to be made at the earliest July/Aug 1940 I would guess.

That's an interesting question though, the APB was awared ( in Helwigs case ) in early 1938, and the Sudetenland medal was given in June of 1939, so why would they wait so long to put these in the book? Could it be a case where soldbuchs were not originally intended to hold information regarding awards, and this is something that materialized later?

Would like to hear others thoughts on this.

Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X