Jump Trained Gebirgsjaegers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jump Trained Gebirgsjaegers

Around 300 men from GJR 136, 137 & 138 were sent through an excellerated 10 day jump course at Wittstock jump school and jumped to reenforce paratroopers in the Narvik and Tromoso sectors of Norway in late May of 1940. Even though it was an abreviated verson of the jump course, the men who went through it were given the ( Luftwaffe ) jump badge. This is a photo of one of them.

[ 12 January 2002: Message edited by: Eric Queen ]

Althought not a Fallschirmjager collector I wondered about this, the Gebirsjager who participated in the Narvik jump, my ask is simple, why this man is not wearing the Narvikschild?, I suppose that he qualificated for the badge because he was going to jump, do you know what happen with this particular soldier? Also I like to know if you have a citation, soldbuch or wehrpass from one of this men where the badge is notated.

Cheers

Angel
    Looking for DKiG Heer winner Soldbuch who also won the TDB and/or CCC, specially in Silver.

Comment

I don't know why this particular individual was not wearing the Narvikschild when this photo was taken, but it is certain that the men from these three GJ units who made these jumps were awarded it. On one of the death cards ( sterbebild ) I have from these people
      ( Joseph Krieger ) both the Narvikschild and paratrooper badge are listed. Here is a close up of the photo from this card. Unfortunately the angle is such that you cannot see the schild.( but the jump badge is visible )

I have never seen or heard of an original document or soldbuch/wehrpass from these people. I have only seen a couple of photos and 2 sterbebild. Maybe our friends in Europe like JYN or MVV may have seen or heard of something else.

Comment

The photo might have been taken just after the award of the jump badge, and Narvik had not yet taken place.

Comment

I doubt it. Notice the Eastern Front ribbon.

Comment

DOH! Good eye, I missed that...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X