GWL paratroopers' badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GWL paratroopers' badge

Has anyone seen a GWL para badge like this before? I have heard that GWL para badges should have a zinc cast wreath. With both the hinge and catch case into the badge. This one is made of altsilber, and the eagle is tombak. Could you give me any info on this badge. I will try to post pic. If the pics don't come through, please email me for pics. Thanks!
    Matt [img]A:\Lparatroop2.jpg[/img]

I couldn't get the pics to come up, so please email me for pics. Thanks!
    Matt

Comment

1 pic is up now. I'll try to get the others. [img]A:\Lparatroop1.jpg[/img] [img]A;\Lparatroop.mm.jpg[/img]

Comment

[img]A:\Lparatroopmm.jpg[/img]

Comment

Matt,

Your picture isn't showing up. Please email it to me and I will try to post it for you.

Thanks,

Eric ( efqueen@aol.com )

Comment

Posted for Matt

Comment

Here is my GWL para for comparison.

MM

"You can check out any time you like ..... But you can never leave....."

Comment

Thanks Mike, that is the badge I was referring to, but have you ever seen a GWL para badge like the one I have? The eagle looks identical to yours, only it is not guilted. It looks bright in the pic, but it is actually quite dark. The big difference is the wreath. Mine is altsilber, and has domed rivets, typical luftwaffe hinge (similar to Junkers) and a "C" catch soldered directly to the badge. Yours is made of zinc, with a cast in hinge and catch. Please let me know any information you have. Thanks!
                Matt

Comment

Hi Matt,

I'm Mark, but failed to sign off that way in my post. Most people call me other things anyway....no comment TMC....

I can't access an image of the obverse of your GWL.

To the best of my knowledge, GWL paras generally do have the darkened wreath and a bright (lighter, at least) gilted eagle. It would not be out of the realm of possibility to have an altsilber wreath polished bright. But as was mentioned, not on a zinc based badge.

Typically, the GWL characteristic rivet is the 'donut'. The hinge and catch are integrally cast.

If I was shopping for one, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Regards,
                  Mark
                  "You can check out any time you like ..... But you can never leave....."

Comment

Mark,

Thanks Mark. email me, and I will send the pics to you.
                    Matt

Comment

Matt,

The top of the "L" in the GWL logo should have a phallic shape to it. Here's an example of what I am taking about.

There's also a great example of this on the Collectors Association Site. If your not a member yet, I highly recommend you join. Tons of great information and excellent articles.

Here's an image of my GWL Para Badge. It's just like Mark Miller's badge.

I've handled several examples of GWL Para Badges and all of them had the cast hinge/catch, with the exception of one that had a different style hinge, but I believe the hinge/pin was replaced. Here's an image of this badge.

I'd love to hear from an advance collector that obtained an example of this type of badge direct from a German Veteran and if possible to see an image of such a badge.

[ 09 January 2002: Message edited by: John Garcia ]

[ 10 January 2002: Message edited by: John Garcia ]

Comment

Good to see you hear and posting John,

Thanks and please keep it up.

Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X