Assmann Paratrooper badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assmann Paratrooper badge

I have had 3 pieces, all have had something done to the rivets, on one they were beaten flat, the pictured one has one rivet flattened, the third had them slightly flattened.
    Do I just attract them, or do Assmanns often have rivets that need a bit of work ?

Chris,

I have had two early Assman's that came right from the German vet's. In both cases, each had one of the rivets broken. One was repaired by ( what looked to be ) a piece of round wire copper stock, and the other was not repaired at all.

I am sure others can add more regarding Assmann's in General.

Thanks for the post.

Eric

Comment

Great! A Fallschirmjäger Forum! Nice one Seba! And good for Eric, agreeing to moderate things! Now, re this Assmann para badge: I've seen this before. Of course, I've also seen examples with untouched rivets. Recently, I was looking at a small collection of Luftwaffe flight badges. There were two early 'heavy' Assmann badges, one of which had the rivets reworked with a centre-punch, presumably to cure looseness which was still apparent, the other of which had small indentations around the rivets to make the wreath grip the rivets tighter. The eagle was also still loose. Like, I think, the one you're showing here, these weren't zinc badges. I don't recall encountering this on any other maker's flight or para badges, bar one aluminium pilot's badge by Juncker. But then, it was a well-worn item that had been worn on an English Hells Angel's cut-off for years.

Prosper Keating

[ 07 January 2002: Message edited by: Prosper Keating ]

Comment

hmmm..I guess I should feel lucky mine has nice rivets.

On mine though, it didnt get much treatment to the cut out of the wings. Weird, huh?

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

Perhaps it was made on a Friday afternoon?

Prosper Keating

Comment

Since we are posting photos of Assmann badges, here is one that I have. The wings cut out is an interesting discussion ... mine appears to have the larger cutout as the first one featured from Chris.

[ 08 January 2002: Message edited by: Mike Heuer ]

Collecting mint condition Imperial German uniforms, visor caps, and Pickelhauben.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X