gravity knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gravity knives

Great addition to an already awesome forum! I am anxiously awaiting the posting of your gravity knives, Gentlemen, and the closeups of the markings. Will show my run of the mill one shortly. Will you share too?
    Joe

Here is my gravity knife. I know it is run of the mill, but it is in really great shape. I am curious about the markings on it, not sure what they represent, and I would like to see markings from other knives if possible. Thanks all!
    Joe

Comment

Gravity Knives

Dear Mr. Peppicek,
      The marking on the marlin-spike is the later style Waffen-Amt, an stick-like bird with a number"5". The number on the other parts are assembling numbers, they should match.
      On the blade you will find the maker, mostly SMF, Paul Weyersberg,sometimes F.&A.Helbig and others.
      On the later examples you will find the RBnr0/0561/0019. The mixed -marked pieces are the so called transitional ones.
      Early ones are nickel finished and normally the "not take down" version. Later ones are blued.
      Last but not least there are very near perfect copys!!!
      Pieter
      SUUM CUIQUE ...
      sigpic

Comment

Hi Pieter,

On a recent trip to Belgium I was quite suprised at the amount of gravity knives on offer at military shows there. Not only that they were in my mind very cheaply priced too which made me suspicious. You mention "near perfect copies" are out there. Could you elaborate a little more and tell us what the mistakes on the copies are? I asked the same question on the forum at germandaggers.com and apparently not one of the so called edged weapon experts there knew about gravity knive fakes as I did`nt get one reply to my post. So I`m glad to hear one experienced collector say he knows about them and hopefully you`ll tell us more. I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Des

p.s I think you know a good friend of mine, Marc Backx?

Comment

Hello Des,
          I've seen these knives too and a dealer whispered to me that these knives come from our Chechish friends.
          They are very well made,even having the right markings on the marlin-spike.
          The one I held in hand was blued steel,the edges of the "head"where the knive comes out are too sharp and the knife had no makersname in it.
          You have to compare with a original to find small errors,dangerous knives for the collector who thinks he finds a mint piece.
          I think that the rare "Blend-Schutz Brille/Splitterbrille(Shattergoggles)seen on the market today are coming from the same source(almost perfect and sold for big money)
          I've seen a lot of these in Belgium too lately.
          Beware,the times they are changing !
          Too much money involved in this collecting business,so lots of things keep coming our ways in the future !
          Good luck,
          Jos.

Comment

Jos,

Very interesting info. I saw a guy buy a "Mint" blued example at a show in Belgium. It was beautiful looking knive but it struck me strange that it was so unused.
            At least I know what to look for now. Thanks!

Regards

Des

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X