Kreta Maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kreta Maps

Maps which have been used for WWII airborne operations are not so easy to find. The well known are the WWII US's ones which have been specially issued to paratroopers for D'DAY.
    By May 1941, german paratroopers were not as lucky as GIs. All lot of them received some greek maps. Please find a picture of one from my collection used in Crete by a former menber of the Fallsch. MG.Abt.7.

Jean-Yves

Hi Jean-Yves,

Very nice map!! Does it show Maleme airfield on there? I do see it is of the Platanias area, but I could not tell if Maleme is listed. I have attached 2 photos of the eastern and western halves of Kreta. These were done in March of 1941 and are marked "Sonderausgabe"...special issue and "Nur für Dienstgebrauch"....only for official use. Together they make a map of Kreta 4 feet long.

Glück ab,

Willi

Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi Willi,

This is the Maleme area and on your left you have got the Kastelli peninsula and on the far right Agia Marina. It is a print of a 1940s greek map which has been made by the Verm.-Abt.(mot) 613 in May 1941.At this time the Maleme airfield was not there.
      Very nice maps that you have. Did you get them from vets ?
      What is the best way to take a photo of a map. Some of my collection are going to be in my next book.
      Well, this one is quite rare (Geheim) one and was issued to a a former menber of the Fallsch. Art. Abt. 7.

Jean-Yves

Comment

Hi JY,

Another great map of yours. No, the two I attached did not come from vets. I do have a nice map that came from a veteran, it shows the positions of the 7th Flieger Division at Starva, Russia during the winter of 1942. One of these two maps came from George Petersen's collection, the other came from Canada via ebay. I never thought I would be able to get both halves. My map of Kreta does not show Maleme airfield. The bottom of the map states that this map used a French map "Carte Aeronautique v.J. 1935" to gather information. That would explain why Maleme airfield is not listed.

WZ
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi again,

The second map I sent has all the military strategic points of the Agean area, including the Maleme Airfield. At least, I am sending you another regular map of Crete dated 1940. I don't think it is possible to get a regular map showing the Maleme airfield.

JYN http://images.andale.com/f2/105/107/7341996/1010963974506_map3.JPG[/img]
          [img]

Comment

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X