X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use of FJ bandoleers

Hi to all

I have seen some pics of mannequins in the "collection display forum"
    illustrating some Luft ground troops soldiers with camo jacket wearing FJ bandoleers...

It is a fantasy display , or in some cases Feld division or HG div. troops used this type of gear ?

There is at least one pic illustrating this fact ?

Regards

No this is not a fantasy idea. In the late war period when many of the fallschirmjager were paratroops in name only, you can see them wearing a mixture of fallschirmjager and ground forces equipment, including marching boots, short boots and gaiters, M35 helmets, Luft field division jackets all mixed in with bandoleers, jump helmets and jump smocks. Late war you can find some very unusual combinations!.

Comment

I agree with PaulM. I have alot of HG (especially the FJ battalion of the HG) and LWFD photos that show the wear of Jump trousers, Jump smocks and boots and on occasion bandoleers. I also have some photos of FJ wearing LWFD Jackets. - Bill Petz

Comment

Paul and W.

Thanks for your answers

I know,there is many pics of FJ wearing standart items

M35 helmets,GJ boots,camo luft ground jacket,gasmask can,winter set etc...

My question was if in some cases , members of lw feld-division or HG division received FJ bandoleers.

Mr Petz , Is it possible for you to post a pic or two showing this ?

Comment

I will do a search when I return from my unit Battlefield Tour to Normandy. We leave this evening after work and will return early Sunday morning. Bill

Yep! I plan on taking alot of photos and will post them...hopefully the weather will be good...it isn't in Rotterdam right now....pouring down rain.

Originally posted by alexandre View Post
          Paul and W.

Thanks for your answers

I know,there is many pics of FJ wearing standart items

M35 helmets,GJ boots,camo luft ground jacket,gasmask can,winter set etc...

My question was if in some cases , members of lw feld-division or HG division received FJ bandoleers.

Mr Petz , Is it possible for you to post a pic or two showing this ?

Comment

OK thanks for your help and good trip in Normandy!

Comment

Alexandre,

I found one of the photos I was looking for which shows what I believe to be HG troops wearing bandoleers...three of them are also wearing SS Camo smocks. Bill

Originally posted by alexandre View Post
              OK thanks for your help and good trip in Normandy!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by W Petz; 10-01-2007, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Bill,
                Do you know when or where this photo was taken?
                Homer

Comment

Pictures?

Originally posted by paulmfjr2 View Post
                  No this is not a fantasy idea. In the late war period when many of the fallschirmjager were paratroops in name only, you can see them wearing a mixture of fallschirmjager and ground forces equipment, including marching boots, short boots and gaiters, M35 helmets, Luft field division jackets all mixed in with bandoleers, jump helmets and jump smocks. Late war you can find some very unusual combinations!.
                  Paul any chance you have any pictures of these late war mix and match uniform FJ's,and the same for you W Petz if any aswell to show?.On the HGD members i could understand as there where FJ members in there divsions later on i have read as for LWFD wearing FJ items,dont think i have seen this unless it was FJ in there divsions wearing there old uniforms realy.As i remember the osprey men at arms series book on the LWFD,and showed a painting of a FJ in a smock still,like he wants to show he is still a FJ even though in there unit.
                  FJ late in the war did wear more of the luftwaffe camo jackets and standard helmets as seen in a few pictures from the battle of the bulge and others out there too,but wonder how many % it was realy.Like the smock and FJ helmet still late in the war must have been worn by more than 50% even 70% or more of the FJ?,though not jumping out of planes as much then right.
                  Last edited by Fallschirmjaeger; 10-01-2007, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Hello Homer,

No writing on the reverse of the photo so it's nearly impossible to date and no features in the photo to indicate a location. Bill

Originally posted by Homer Hodge View Post
                    Bill,
                    Do you know when or where this photo was taken?
                    Homer

Comment

Early war years?

It looks early war years and being HGR maybe or was it HGB,ayway maybe western front 1940 when they fought in france or going to the eastern front(russia) from germany maybe?.

Comment

There are other photos of the HG wearing WSS camo smocks and helmet covers. The standard references on HG state that when it became a division they were issued a lot of WSS camo. I just wonder if that practice continued through the war.

Comment

Originally posted by Homer Hodge View Post
                          There are other photos of the HG wearing WSS camo smocks and helmet covers. The standard references on HG state that when it became a division they were issued a lot of WSS camo. I just wonder if that practice continued through the war.
                          Hello Homer,

The HG did wear SS camo smocks and helmet covers during the battles for Sicily, and probably through out southern Italy as well.
                          Regards,
                          John
                          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Thanks, John. I knew they had been issued but was not sure where they were actually worn. However, now that you mention it, I do recall seeing something about HG wearing them in Sicily. Southern Italy, too? I wonder if they wore them at Salerno or Anzio?

Comment

...there was an "out of the woodwork" helmet posted on the forum many years ago that was a Luft M42 (think I remember that right) w/ a WSS camo cover and the set had been together since the war.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X