FG42 Optics at Simpson Ltd.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FG42 Optics at Simpson Ltd.

FYI - The Type 2 FG42 optics featured on pp.187-89 in the recently revised edition of 'Death From Above' are currently for sale at Simpson Ltd. This set has a matched serial number (04522) to the T2 Kriegoff FG42 held by the Springfield Armory Museum.

As an aside this T2 set of optics has served to expose many fraudulent sets assembled from incomplete ring sets found in the late '70's/early '80's. These sets were subsequntly completed (levers/cams) by an OH based Class 3 dealer/manufacturer who finished sets based on imagination rather than an existing example or period documentation. The complete sets were sold and have (until recently) come to be believed as original.

Generally speaking legit FG42 optics are far rarer than the actual FG42's themselves.

Oh yes ,many collectors got fooled ,believing they had an original mount and having paid a lot of money for it.The one fom the book and two others are the only known originals of this type of mount. It is 100 times rarer than the gun itself .And if you have a matching set ,i would say you got the jackpot.
    Last edited by Maus; 09-23-2007, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Is the revised edition of "Death From Above" now readily available?
      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Yes it is.

Comment

Maus,

Yes - I spoke to a prolific collector of FG42's at the last Knob Creek show on this subject. It appeared he was so heavily invested in the post war/OH built sets of optics that he felt it necessary to downplay the originals. In any case the post war/OH mount set I handled at his table was clearly bogus in terms of construction and metal finish. Seems a lie is easier to live with than the truth if it doesn't hurt you financially.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X