No announcement yet.

M38 SD Luft FJ Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The two rear bolts show evidence that they were turned, although it looks like it was done ages ago (quite likely by the German soldier himself). Ron, is there any evidence of a net being part of this helmet? The reason I ask is because of the turned bolts and the slight space between the shell and the liner. Cool helmet, named to an officer to boot!
    When you go home
    Tell them for us and say
    For your tomorrow
    We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
    Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Hi, Ron

YES, very nice helmet with an officer name

Thank you, David.

Comment

Originally posted by WalterB View Post
        The two rear bolts show evidence that they were turned, although it looks like it was done ages ago (quite likely by the German soldier himself). Ron, is there any evidence of a net being part of this helmet? The reason I ask is because of the turned bolts and the slight space between the shell and the liner. Cool helmet, named to an officer to boot!
        Walter,

Thanks for those nice words.

It does not have any evidence of having a net that I can see.

Best regards,
        RonR

Comment

M38 sgl decal

Hi Ron

Nice looking para helmet. I especially like the officer name. Do the bolts still have both of their nuts? That might explain why one or two look a bit mismatched, they may be wartime replacements. If the bolts have only one nut remaining, it at least seems more likely.

I've seen a lot of helmets that were varnished or waxed on the outside, never one that had the liner waxed like this one. Any idea what happened there? I see some cracks in the leather, maybe someone was just trying to preserve the leather? Do you think it is wax or is it something else?

Love those para helmets!

Regards,
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by M35 View Post
            Hi Ron

Nice looking para helmet. I especially like the officer name. Do the bolts still have both of their nuts? That might explain why one or two look a bit mismatched, they may be wartime replacements. If the bolts have only one nut remaining, it at least seems more likely.

I've seen a lot of helmets that were varnished or waxed on the outside, never one that had the liner waxed like this one. Any idea what happened there? I see some cracks in the leather, maybe someone was just trying to preserve the leather? Do you think it is wax or is it something else?

Love those para helmets!

Regards,
            Terry
            Terry,

You are right, only one nut on each bolt.

The liner has been repaired by a previous owner with some sort of white glue (Elmer's?) as evidenced by this shot of the lower printing and perhaps waxed at the time to add body.

RonR

Comment

very nice!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X