Sometimes it is better to leave stuff alone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes it is better to leave stuff alone

Some people complained that this had been waxed....
    Attached Files
    When you go home
    Tell them for us and say
    For your tomorrow
    We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
    Iwo Jima 1945

In an effort to address this "problem", good intentions have now caused it to look like this..... Apparently, a museum recommended the proper technique to remove the wax.

If there is ever a lesson to be learned, it is that sometimes it is better to leave things alone

Note: This thread is not designed to criticize the current owner in any way, it was merely designed to be an example to others that sometimes the best intentions do not yield the best results.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by WalterB; 08-19-2007, 06:53 PM.
    When you go home
    Tell them for us and say
    For your tomorrow
    We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
    Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Comment

Response to Walter

Nothing has harmed this helmet but field use. If you have noticed the darker pic was taken inside and with the yellowish wax applied. Under day light you could see the light gray or blue as you can see it now. Nothing has changed on this helmet but the heavy wax has been removed. It looks very nice in your hands. Thanks for showing your concern, Bill

Comment

it looks like a lot of fine detail is now lost off the bird ? and i thought i seen it listed for sale somewhere with the wax on ?
          Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
          teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

M38

Walter, you hit the nail on the head. As noted, not only is the decal worn down, but also the top layer of paint is gone along with most of the texture it seems, plus the deep dark rust is now shiny bare metal. I will be surprised if anyone buys this now. Why not leave things alone?!?

Regards,
            Terry

Comment

Yes, nothing has changed, and it looks beautifull now, with that 2007 "field use"!
              Attached Files

Comment

1st enhanced

#1 clearer
                In my opinion there was no great harm done by removing the wax - may be wrong, would be good to see it "live" and judge then.

Cheers,

Fern
                Last edited by ardennes44; 11-02-2007, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X