BunkerMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FJ Helmet Bolts - steel "hardware store" type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FJ Helmet Bolts - steel "hardware store" type?

Has anyone encountered original (i.e. no post-war modifications) FJ helmets where the Germans used common "hardware store" type steel, zinc-plated bolts to hold in the liner? The bolts would have rounded tops with a straight slot (and no vent hole), with square nuts.

I acquired a late-war (i.e. no decal) FJ helmet about 10 years ago for $35 from a pawn shop in Texas. The helmet appears to be 100% correct, except the bolts in it were what appeared to me to be common stove bolts of the type you would find in a U.S. hardware store. The bolts were steel with zinc plating, with a square washer.

At the time my assessment was that someone before me had removed the liner, lost the bolts (which I believe should have been aluminum w/ slots and/or vent holes), and replaced the liner using common bolts obtained from a hardware store. Thus, I removed the bolts and replaced them with reproduction steel slotted/vent hole style bolts that I obtained from George Peterson. I painted the heads of the reproduction bolts to match my helmet using hobby shop paint, with a tiny bit of sand mixed in to match the "gritty" paint on the helmet. At the time no reproduction (or original replacement) aluminum bolts were available to me.

Did I mess up big time and remove the original German bolts?

Para helmet bolts

Alan

I've seen some odd fasteners used on para helmets, and it is pretty tough to tell what was war time done and what was done post war. I have one para helmet with a rivet used to replace the bolt, and it is the type of rivet that was peened over, not a split rivet. It was then given a dab of paint to somewhat match the green paint on the shell!

In your case, from your description, it sounds like your helmet probably had post war US bolts. I think most bolts from the 1940's and before were plain steel, not zinc plated. I don't suppose you saved the bolts? One pretty convincing way to tell would be by checking whether they were metric thread or standard US thread.

Anything is possible. If a bolt got lost, the soldier would likely use whatever he could find as a replacement. The strap would hang loose on that end otherwise.

Regards,
    Terry

Comment

Terry,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I saved the four (4) bolts and nuts in a special place for a good number of years. Later, something possessed me to remove them and dump them into one of several "nuts and bolts" drawers of parts that I use around my house (I guess I wanted to get some use out of them).

Unfortunately, I can not locate the bolts at the moment, but I know I did not throw them away. Worst case I used them in household projects. Upon reflection, I think I used one of them in repairing my lawnmower and, if so, it is still there. When I get free time this weekend I will search for the bolts, as I know they must still be around in some of my plunder.

I recall the bolts having a bit of "frosting" or age to them, which I attributed to a zinc plating having oxidized over the years. Whether or not they were actually plated I do not know, but they were steel nuts/bolts and not aluminum.

Any idea where I can get reproduction (or replacement original) aluminum FJ bolts, so I can make my helmet look correct?

Comment

Para helmet bolts

Alan

I'd try ebay. I looked just now and found one set for sale, it is #250147334596. This seller is overseas unfortunately, but if you keep looking, you will find some listed sooner or later from US dealers too. Not a difficult, or expensive, thing to find repros. Real ones are a different story!

If you want to pm me, I can give you the name and phone number of a dealer in Michigan who usually has them for sale.

Regards,
        Terry

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X