Fallschirmjäger cloth patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fallschirmjäger cloth patch

This cloth patch was found among the effects of a WWII American airman veteran, and I bought it from his daughter.

Is it authentic?

If so, what is approximate value and rarity?
    Attached Files
    Don Bible

Fallschirmjäger patch

Back side
    Attached Files
    Don Bible

Comment

Originally posted by Don Bible View Post
      Is it authentic?
      I think not.

One to compare.
      Attached Files
      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

It´s not a very attractive one. A bit off manufactured, normally not seen on originals. But it shows some features you´ll find on originals. However, I think it´s good!
        Last edited by Gerd W.; 08-06-2007, 02:47 PM.

Comment

cloth patch

Thanks fellows. Would like to hear from others. Whatever it is....it is mine, as I bought it in a batch of other things from the veteran's daughter. It was in a box of other pieces, all over 60 years old.
          Don Bible

Comment

Looks good to me. I would buy it. Though not exact, it has some features and similarities to the ones that I have that are supposedly early war patches.

Comment

I agree with Gerd. The cloth badge looks good to me.

Comment

cloth patch

Thanks to everyone for the opinions. It seems to be a rather controversial piece among FJ collectors. I think this may be an example of how we collectors sometimes make our own rules that preclude us from owning original pieces.

I won't be selling any of the items that were in the box with this patch, as they were practically given to me by the daughter of a WWII flyer that I knew. He later became a lawyer. No one in his family had an interest in the materials which included old family photos and tintypes, U.S. WWII flying insignia, etc.

I sometimes pick up items that I think have a good chance to be original, just to keep, if they are cheap. These were. I doubt that the box had been looked at in 50 years until the veteran died.
                Don Bible

Comment

As said, it´s not a top-shelf cloth para style (IMHO), but for me not really a controversal one.....it´s only "textbook" John who´s in doubt

No offense John !

On todays TR market it´s the best advice for each collector to look for comparable items. That will not make the world safer, but maybe save some hard earnt cash.

For your badge Mr. Bible: until today, I saw only one other with exact the same features........ that´s a good sign (beside some features in the sewed thread you normally see only on originals).

Comment

Originally posted by Gerd W. View Post
                    ....it´s only "textbook" John who´s in doubt

No offense John !
                    None taken Gerd.

This badge also has features common to some reproductions. It is not for me, each to his own preference.
                    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post
                      This badge also has features common to some reproductions.
                      Sure you´re right! As said, the bagde in question shows an sloppy construction (Wehrkraftzersetzung maybe ) and should be normally look like these badges. But it has good features as well.
                      Last edited by Gerd W.; 12-28-2008, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerd W. View Post
                        Sure you´re right! As said, the bagde in question shows an sloppy construction (Wehrkraftzersetzung maybe ) and should be normally look like these badges. But it has good features as well.
                        I like these two that you posted, and have examples like them. They are not at all like Don's IMHO. Note the matt thread of your two, something all early cloth badges should exhbit. Then, there is the embroidery style. I remain unmoved from my "textbook" position.
                        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by John Hodgin View Post
                          I remain unmoved from my "textbook" position.
                          I´ll not lead you astray

Here a fake of that style
                          Last edited by Gerd W.; 12-28-2008, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Though I agree the badge in question has some features common to many reproductions, I think it is original as well.
                            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

It's good.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X