• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are There Some Cool Musuems On Crete

Are There? Do You Guys Have Info On Were They Are Etc
    Cheers

Hi there,
    There are many small museums dotted all over Crete, and the 3 major towns Heraklion, Rethymon and Chania all have a museum. These vary in quality with some small sections on WWII. The best is in the mountains in the Sfakia area.
    Tony

Comment

Originally posted by wijtman01 View Post
      Are There? Do You Guys Have Info On Were They Are Etc
      Cheers
      Take a look here: www.historic.de , the webmaster just came back and has a nice list with picture's.

Comment

I have seen most of them. Nothing too exciting. I think there is also a small one in Galatas. I did enjoy the private one on the road to Sjakia. Had some Ju52 parts, etc.
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Zahn View Post
          I have seen most of them. Nothing too exciting. I think there is also a small one in Galatas. I did enjoy the private one on the road to Sjakia. Had some Ju52 parts, etc.
          You are right
          Roberto

Comment

Last year,I managed to get an invite to the home of a gentleman whose family owned the land on which the cemetary is laid.

I have his card somewhere, but can't remember his name at the moment. His house is at the back of the cemetary. And the collection of artifacts in his collection are very nice. Outside his house he has built a trench system,including a shelter and parked about it are various allied vehicles.However, leaning up against his house is a rusting old German motorbike. I'm not an expert so i couldn't tell you what make it was,even if i do own a 43'DKW...

Surrounding this bike are dozens of LW crockery and helmets.However, he only has one FJ lid.Heavily rusted.Just lying out in all the elements.......

Inside, he has a separate room with a huge collection of artifacts.Not all Kreta related.But, he does have another helmet and one sidelacing boot in a cabinet.

I'm not sure if he generally lets unanounced visitors in, but, he can only say "No", i suppose.

As you go up the hill towards the cemetary,carry on round to the left.Eventually, you'll come across a large house on the left with huge gates and a sloping drive. Good luck.

Manny

Comment

Very interesting Manny. Do you have any photos?
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

There is nothing exiting to be seen, only lots of badly rusted scrap, and postwar items. Most of his "collection" is placed outside, even cloth items - you can imagine what they look like. I was disapointed to see this collection, as I was told his family ownes the ground on the eastern side of hill 107 since 100 years, and he started collecting just after the germans had left. So I was looking forward to some great items, but...

He does not have a 1st modell para-boot, its actualy some kind of civilian (or maybee british) ankle boot, somebody used a sole of 1st modell jumpboot for repairing it. I have a foto somewhere.

The most interesting items IMO where some original fotos showing paratroopers with MP44s and matching ammo-pouches leaving gliders (obviously training taken late in the war), maybee given to him by a german vet. Hi used 4 pins for each foto, just tacked them to the wall. They were already very faded.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X