FJ Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FJ Photo

A few days ago this Fallschirmjager photograph was listed on ebay (auction 270138784159). A few hours later the seller ended the auction due to "an error in the listing". When the auction was ended the bidding had already reached 1000 Euros.

Does anyone know who bought the photograph? Does anyone know how much was paid for the photograph?
    Attached Files

This is very interesting! I recently posted a copy of this photo on my new FJ pics in town thread on the forum. This photo was in a photo album of a Para Sturmgeschutz member. A friend of mine Karl-Heinz Muench was loaned the album to take photos of this and many others for his archives. I was not aware that the album was being taken apart and being sold as the family told him they wanted the album returned and they were not interested in selling it. I will check to see if he has any knowledge of it being sold on Ebay.
    Last edited by W Petz; 07-01-2007, 07:56 PM.

Comment

could be they got caught and had to stop the auction! would be very very sadly if anouther outstanding album got ripped apart by a persons greed!

Comment

I would like to hear follow-ups on this.

Sadly, our hobby today is filled with episodes like this and it is occurring more frequently each year.

The ends justify the means to many people. As long as they can justify it to themselves they are fine with it. Photo groupings, document groupings, albums, uniform groupings.....all getting broken up for $$$$$$.

Partly why I don't mind the transition of the advanced part of the hobby from a blue-collar hobby to a white-collar hobby. They tend to keep the groupings together.
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

How can a photograph like this one just up and disappear? Surely one member of this Forum can shed some light on what happened to it. It would be a great shame if this album got broken up.

Comment

'walcertraum' is the seller who listed this photograph on ebay. Does anyone know who 'walcertraum' is? Has any forum member dealt with this ebay seller?

Comment

W Petz:

Has your friend Karl-Heinz Muench been able to tell you anything about the selling of this FJ photograph?

Comment

I have sent him an email plus another friend and fellow WAF member is also checking with him since he only lives maybe 10 KM's away from him. Please be patient. Thanks - Bill

Originally posted by SS-VT View Post
                W Petz:

Has your friend Karl-Heinz Muench been able to tell you anything about the selling of this FJ photograph?

Comment

When the auction closed I was the under bidder on this photograph. I immediately contacted the seller and asked him what was going on with the auction. He said the photo had not been sold and he was going to keep it. I emailed him back and privately offered 1500 Euros for the photo. The seller again told me it was not for sale.

Even though I don't know what's going on with the photo, there is a lot of talk privately about it. I heard it was sold to a collector in the United States. I also heard another collector offered 2500 Euros for it. I don't know who 'walcertraum' is, but he should have sold the photo privately without ever listing it on ebay or have let the auction run it's course.

I strongly believe another member of this forum knows what happened to the photo.

Comment

just wondering and being a newbie in the FJ area do pics of this quality go for over 2.5k?????

Comment

paddywhack:

Even though FJ photographs can command high prices, I have never heard of anyone paying 2500 Euros for one. That's even crazy by my standards.

Yesterday a wonderful FJ photograph album sold on ebay for 3011 Euros. It contained 360 photographs with several very nice portraits. This seems to be the going rate for an album of this caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderBoards View Post
                        paddywhack:

Even though FJ photographs can command high prices, I have never heard of anyone paying 2500 Euros for one. That's even crazy by my standards.

Yesterday a wonderful FJ photograph album sold on ebay for 3011 Euros. It contained 360 photographs with several very nice portraits. This seems to be the going rate for an album of this caliber.
                        No offense, but an 1500 Euro offer for this (very nice) picture isn´t either far away from crazy

Comment

Well you offered 1,500 and I think that is a crazy price to pay so why not 2,500 that possibly another member of this forum might have paid for it.

I saw that FJ album as well and watched it till the end....I also posted a link to the ebay auction on a thread I started "A Unbelieveable price for a GI photo album". I don't seem to recall a FJ album going for that much in the past....any examples you can provide since you are quoting that it is the going rate.

I also briefly got the pleasure of watching SUDEK13 being outbidded by another rich bidder....although just a drop in the bucket for those filthy rich folks.
                          __________________________________________________ __

[Quote]

When the auction closed I was the under bidder on this photograph. I immediately contacted the seller and asked him what was going on with the auction. He said the photo had not been sold and he was going to keep it. I emailed him back and privately offered 1500 Euros for the photo. The seller again told me it was not for sale.

Even though I don't know what's going on with the photo, there is a lot of talk privately about it. I heard it was sold to a collector in the United States. I also heard another collector offered 2500 Euros for it. I don't know who 'walcertraum' is, but he should have sold the photo privately without ever listing it on ebay or have let the auction run it's course.

I strongly believe another member of this forum knows what happened to the photo.
                          <!-- / message -->
                          Originally posted by ShoulderBoards View Post
                          paddywhack:

Last edited by W Petz; 07-04-2007, 06:30 PM.

Comment

I simply do not believe that anyone offered 2500 euro (or even $2500) for this photo. That's pure fantasy (of course I guess it would be easy to offer whatever you want after something has already been sold).

I find it interesting that 2 people from the US bid this up to over 1000 euro in less than an hour, and one (from WI) just registered that day (for the sole purpose of bidding on this photo with anonymity I assume) and the other was a "private" bidder. Could have been the same person trying to push the price up so the seller would not be tempted to sell it off line. Ebay is indeed a strange place.
                            Last edited by Eric Queen; 07-05-2007, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Eric,

I agree Ebay is a strange place which makes people do strange things...like pay too much money for a single photo. I think it is quite feasible although unbelieveable to me that someone would pay that much money. As you can see Mr. SB's offered 1,500 for it why not someone else with the fever pay even more for it. It all comes down to money in the end. Those who have the cash don't have to worry about the next mortgage payment.

Your photo must be worth a lot more....lets see....2,500 plus 500 for the German Cross in Gold, EK1 125 and 200 for the Afrika CT, another 300 for the KRETA CT....that's 3,625 EUROS. Just a mere 600 hundred more then that the FJ Photo Album that sold on Ebay Yikes!!!!!

Originally posted by Eric Queen View Post
                              I simply do not believe that anyone offered 2500 euro (or even $2500) for this photo. That's pure fantasy (of course I guess it would be easy to offer whatever you want after something has already been sold).

I find it interesting that 2 people from the US bid this up to over 1000 euro in less than an hour, and one (from WI) just registered that day (for the sole purpose of bidding on this photo with anonymity I assume) and the other was a "private" bidder. Could have been the same person trying to push the price up so the seller would not be tempted to sell it off line. Ebay is indeed a strange place.

If that one's worth 2500 euro, I wonder what this one is worth?
                              Last edited by W Petz; 07-04-2007, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X