Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ARMY Parachutists Badge

Hello Gentlemen

I received the Army Parachutists Badge from my today’s parcel. It is 2nd pattern without maker mark. I would like to share some pictures with you. Further, I hope I can get some feedback from all of you.

Cheers
    BP
    Attached Files

The back....

Cheers
    BP
    Attached Files

Comment

A great looking badge Bryan, you're now a member of a very exclusive club, the APB owners club! ;-)

Comment

At first glance it looks smart, neat, in a quite mint condition and completely textbook... what else can be said? Enjoy it!
        Óscar

Comment

A textbook 2nd type WHPB in aluminium, struck by the firm of C E Juncker and awarded to members of the prewar Fallschirm-Infanterie-Kompanie and Bataillon (Heer/Army). Very rare...very nice. Bravo Bryan!

It looks like a Type 2b badge. How thick, in millimetres (mm) is the wreath? The wreathes of the Type 2 and Type 2b badges were struck on the same dies as those of the Type 1 badges but the leaves and acorns were cut-out with fine files. The inner and outer edges of the wreathes of Type1 badges were not cut-out like this.

Type 1 WH Para Badge in aluminium

However, the heads and beaks of the Wehrmachtadler of Type 1 badges were cut-out and many broke during this manufacturing stage, which is why there is that die flashing under the beak on Type 2 and Type 2b badges. This is colloquially known as the 'beard'.

Type 2b WH Para Badge in aluminium

On Type 2b badges, the wreaths are also .5 mm thicker for extra strength. This was achieved by interposing a shim between the dies. Type 3 or 1943 pattern WH Para Badges were struck on the same dies by Juncker as the prewar Type 2 badges in aluminium (and .800 silver) but in feinzink or fine zinc. Here is a 1943 issue or Type 3 WHPB in feinzink.

1943 WH Para Badge in feinzink

Once again, Bryan, congratulations on this badge. It is a very good example of the rarest of the 3rd Reich military qualification badges. Some might say that the Balloon Observers' Badge is rarer but then...the Balloon Observers' Badge never existed before May 1945, except on paper!

Prosper Keating

Comment

Hi Bryan, wow!

Oscar and Prosper "nailed" it. Totally "mint" and "Bravo!" There is nothing else to add, except I wish you and Prosper would quit making me drool all over my monitor!

regards,
            John
            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Very nice badge! Congrats Bryan!

I'm supposed to look at a late-war Heer FJ badge this coming weekend......with a bunch of other badges all from the same veteran. So, I guess I will do a quick study of the '43 issue badge.

Willi
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hello Raz, Oscar, Prosper, John and Willi

Thank you very much. I am very happy to put it into my collection. It is not a easy job for me in this lesson but I really learn much more and really more than I expected.

Right here I must said thanks to all the experts, let me have their valuable comments on this badge.

Raz, I am happy to join the club. Your collection always is a good model to me.

Oscar, thanks and I am pleased to have your comment.

Thanks Prosper and your kindly support with your details information.

John, I have better feeling with your kindly comments

Willi, will you buy one at this weekend? If you really got one, hope to see

Cheers
                BP
                Last edited by Bryan Poon; 05-14-2003, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi Zahn
                  Very nice badge! Congrats Bryan!

I'm supposed to look at a late-war Heer FJ badge this coming weekend......with a bunch of other badges all from the same veteran. So, I guess I will do a quick study of the '43 issue badge.

Willi
                  Willi,

Follow this link to see a couple of 1943/44 issue WHPBs in feinzink.

Click Here

The important thing to remember is that the 1943/44 WHPBs were struck on the same dies as the prewar Type 2 badges in aluminium and silver. The surface details should correspond exactly. If you like, feel free to send me some scans of the badge if you would like a second opinion.

Regards,

Prosper

Comment

My Army Para Badge

After a long way of travelling this beauty found a new home in my collection. The Badge belonged to Neil Howes who got it from Peter v. Lukacs and he got it from Eric. I am very glad that I got the chance to buy this one. Although the catch is broken a love this piece very much. Neil thanks for giving me this opportunity.

Greetings

Jürg
                    Strength and Honour
                    http://standwheretheyfought.jimdo.com/

Comment

BACK

Strength and Honour

Comment

Jürg,

I know this badge and it is a really good one. I remember when Eric had it. It does not matter that the catch is broken. With badges of this rarity, this is not really important.

Prosper Keating

Comment

Hi Jürg

You have a beautiful example. Very nice.

Cheers
                          BP

Comment

WHPB

Prosper

thanks for your comment and as you said I don't care about the broken catch.

Bryan also your badge is a nice piece.

Jürg
                            Strength and Honour

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X