Paratrooper group photo, need help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paratrooper group photo, need help!!

I have had this photo for years. Still, I have not been able to positivelly identify this unit. Any help will be great!! It shows 153 FJ, most of whom wear the para badges and at least 98 of them have visible EK II and 35 EK I, some of them also have the wound badges, SA badges and one wears what looks like the NSFK glider badge.
    Also, do any of the officers look familiar?
    Would anyone know when and where the photo was taken?

Thanks!!!!!!

PS: I received this reply from one of the FJ experts some years ago...

Interesting photograph. The fact that quite a few of these paratroopers are wearing the early fliegerbluse, identifiable by the absence of breast eagles, might lead one to presume that this photo was taken in the autumn of 1940 or the spring of 1941, as the trees are still well-covered. The ages of some of the soldiers, around thirty, suggests early days too, before Russia and Italy, when Fallschirmj******228;ger units still contained numbers of prewar regular soldiers.

However, none of the officers in four-pocket tunics are wearing regimental or divisional cuff titles so that probably rules out the first three parachute regiments and the supporting arms within 7. Flieger-Division, who wore the Fallschirm-Division title. Another thing that rules out Fallschirmj******228;ger-Regimenter 1 & 3 is the lack of Army Parachutist Badges worn by former members of the FIK/FIB. One man, far left, second row from the top, could be wearing an Army Para Badge next to his DLV/NSFK glider badge but it could be a trick of pixels from the scanning process.

The absence of Afrika and Kreta cuff bands places it before 1943, as does the absence of Winter War ribbons. The abundance of EK1 and EK2 suggests post-Holland. It could also be post-Crete. Quite a few of the men are not jump-trained and some wear the cloth version of the para badge, initially a private purchase item until the parachute schools started issuing it as an interim measure in 1942 so that newly-trained paras had something to wear until their metal badges were sent to them.

So, there are a couple of possibilities. This could be a training unit in Germany, the architecture making France unlikely. However, Fallschirmj******228;ger-Regiment 4 was formed in September 1942 with three battalions. III./FJR4 was formerly III./FJR2. FJR4 was posted to the Eastern Front late in 1942. Could this photo show a Fallschirmj******228;ger-Rgt 4 company from the 3rd Battalion during the regiment's formation and training period late in 1942?

Or could these men be part of Fallschirmj******228;ger-Rgt 5, formed in May 1942 with two battalions, II and III, from the Luftlande-Sturm-Regiment? II./FJR5, formerly II./LLSR1, was sent to North Africa in July 1942, joining the Ramcke Brigade but the rest of the regiment went to France to train from the planned invasion of Malta.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lohengrin; 06-16-2007, 08:37 PM.

Part Ii

Photo Part Ii
    Attached Files

Comment

Photo part III
      Attached Files

Comment

Part Iv
        Attached Files

Comment

Part V

Part V
          Attached Files

Comment

No one at all can help?

Guesses are just as good!!

Comment

Still no-one??

Mark

Comment

Mark, my guess is pre-Kreta. Winter of 1940/1941. As for which unit, that is a tough call.
                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Great picture

Great picture lohengrin,to bad they did not put a sign of the unit they where from,that would have been handy and i thought normal.Like then also some info on the back of the picture would have been handy.

Comment

Gentlemen, thank you for your kind help!! I am also glad that so many of you like the picture. Any assistance is valuable and even guesses are better than nothing at all. I love the photo and would like to know more about it - I though someone may recognize some of the officers, perhaps. I know that some of you are the best FJ historians alive, so really any comment would mean a lot to me.<O
                    Over the years, I scrutinized the uniforms, architecture and even the plants, but it has not been much help. Anyway, thanks again for your replies and assistance…
                    <O
                    Mark

PS: There is nothing at all on the back...

Comment

Stendal?

Maybe a obvious place it could be is stendal FJ para training area in germany,or in france too. Like where they also had FJ para training areas or base's,like also in southern france area of avignon i remember hearing or reading of.And only a survivor in the picture or the taker if out there would know for shure then too where the picture was taken?.

Comment

Recently I got the below photo and I thought that the photo is taken in the same place as the Fallschirmjäger photo I posted many years ago. Is it possible that it is the same location? And perhaps another FJ unit?

This said, the LW soldiers do not have any FJ decorations or combat awards...

Any comments will be appreciated!

Mark

PS: The photos are exactly the same large size...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Am really interested in this topic as I own the same photo and searching too for information on it.

@ Mark; did send a private message and mail to you.

Comment

Possibly Nachrichten, since no one has any Luftwaffe qualification badges
                            WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Hello,
                              Uffz.-Lehrgang 1941 in Deutschland.
                              A have it too....
                              best regards
                              Gehlert

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X