Dug up at St Lo two weeks ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dug up at St Lo two weeks ago

Hi All, I thought you would like to see it. This stuff was dug up in a German Fj foxhole in the area of FJR8 during the battle of Saint Lo. My two friends had a very good luck that day

Hoping you enjoy, and if you have good war photos of it they will be greatly appreciated!

well, let's go to the battlefield!

Here it is, the only photo I know of this rare weapon, from another website

8-cm Granatwerfer 42

more photos to follow

Yannick

the mortar tube still has its protective cap

cleaning time and good surprise!

while removing the cap, my friend saw this: an oily piece of textile, and the haft of the cleaning brush!! Probably rarest than the mortar itself.

And for fun, what the farmer had kept in his old barns...

Hope you enjoy!

Yannick

Comment

Thanks for sharing this beautiful experience with us, its always an emotions see that someone nowaday can find a such stuff like these in the ex battlefields!!

Comment

Yannick,

Thanks for sharing those finds with us! It makes me want to dig out my old trusty metal detector and start heading for St. Lo!! - Bill

Comment

Amazing discovery! Thanks for sharing the photos with us. I spent 8 days in Normandy last year and was amazed to hear about, and see, so many interesting battlefield recovered items.
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Very nice indeed. I'd love to find a complete mortar like that. Can't be too many of those short barrelled ones left in existence.

I've still another month to six weeks to wait until the snow has gone and the ground's defrosted before i can get digging again.
            Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Thanks for your nice comments. They are greatly appreciated.

My digger friend "Hill 192" has many photos of FJ dug up stuff from St-Lo to put here. We've spent hundred of hours researching on the famous Hill situated East of St-Lo and finding lots of FJ stuff there. This is an old battlefield place we know quite well.

Regards, Yannick

Comment

Hello,

Wonderful pics! Would love to see you post some more.

Thanks,
                mattc

Comment

Hello to all, just a little up to this old thread as my friend just tried to find this post to put new photos of the mortar after all the cleaning and some try to get it as it could have been in 44... Will come soon The mortar has a manufacture number!

Limestone

Comment

Excellant work Limestone, can't wait to see the photo's...

Comment

i was in normandy 2 weeks ago but didnt find anything like that!argh!compliments!

Comment

hi all this is the photos of the short mortar found near hill 192 in normandie.
                        thanks yannick for your coments.
                        look at the photos (THE NUMBER OF THE MORTAR IS 316 a )
                        thanks
                        hill192

Comment

no dont tell me u repainted it!!!!i would have left it the way it was or just cleand it a bit!

Comment

Originally posted by lelez View Post
                            no dont tell me u repainted it!!!!i would have left it the way it was or just cleand it a bit!
                            agreed!

Comment

Oh my goodness!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X