Parachute Id Help Required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parachute Id Help Required

Any collectors out there I need some help identifying a parachute Bag and Chute I recently bought. The Parachute bag is cylindrical when filled of canvas/webbing construction of a green/brown colour . It has 4 opening flaps at the top, at the point of each is a metal grommet. The parachute was described as a 20-RZ20 Cargo parachute probably from the drop canisters. It has a label on the outside
    with the following data

Gerat: Kappe
    Bauart: gzo
    Gerate Nr: 10-152 B(?)
    Werk Nr1

Anforderzeichen: FL 307
    Hersteller: ecg
    Tag der Herstellung: 30 Jan 1942

It is also BA and BAL stamped

I have a scan of the label but lack the know how to post it.

The Chute was described as a pilot Chute it is 3 tone Camo stamped Hilfschirm and BAL 1942 stamped(I also have a scan of the chute)

If anyone can shed any further details or even better provide any photos or tech drawings of this type of Chute in use I would be most grateful.

Cheers and thanks

Mark Holden

Hi Mark,

Not sure what kind of chute you have, but it doesn't sound like a paratroop chute "Sprungschirm für Fallschirmtruppen". It is not a RZ20, which you mentioned as a drop canister chute. A RZ20 is a paratroop chute. You also mention a pilot's chute. Can't really help without photos, but it could be a drop canister chute or a supply canister chute.

Regards,

Willi
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi Willi,

Thanks for your reply. It definitely is not a Fallschirmjager chute, the description was taken from the ebay seller hence my desire to actually identify it. The Pilot chute I was refering to I believe was to assist the main canopy to deploy. The shape of the parachute bag suggests that it would sit on the end of a canister, but I do not know this for sure.

Thanks

Mark

Comment

Hi Mark,
        The term 'Hilfshirm' ('helpchute') I beleive refers to the small canopy which is the first to exit the chute pack. The idea if this small chute is to inflate and pull the main chute out of the pack. This was definately the design used in pilot chutes, but not in fallschirmjager chutes, and i am sure not used with the drop cannister chute (well not the ones I've seen) is it possible that the chute and the bag do not belong together?

Cheers

Paul M
        FJR2

Comment

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that info, I too know that it is not a FJ piece but I thought I would start with some experts here. The pilot chute and bag came together but as you rightly say they may not belong together. I was just speculating about it being a canister chute due to its shape and lack of other info. So it remains a mystery but my FJ Helmet looks good on top of it and it was only £30 incl postage so I do not feel too bad.

Cheers

Mark

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X