Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kretaschild

Hi everyone-
    I am new to the forum - so "Hello" to everybody. My question concerns the Kretaschild: what is it, why was it awarded, etc? I would appreciate any information and a picture would be nice too. Thanks, best regards

JimUK

Welcome Jim. Do you mean a Schild as in the style for Krim, Kuban, Narvik, etc? Or do you mean the Kreta cufftitle?

Willi
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi Willi-
      I think it is a commemorative plaque. If I am not mistaken I do not think that it is meant to be worn. It is oblong and bears the name of the recipient. This is all I know, best regards

JimUk

Comment

The plaque is rectangular, of cast metal, presented in a black velvet and faux leather frame. It was meant to sit propped up on a tabletop. Two examples of the original plaque are shown in the book "German Paratroops" by Robert Kurtz on page 185.

The plaque was presented for outstanding individual acts or overall contribution to the victory on Crete which did not involve actual combat with enemy forces. The inscription reads simply "In Recognition of Special Service." It was classified as a non-portable (nicht tragbar) award and thus was not worn or carried. Receipt of the plaque, however, was recognized by a Soldbuch entry. There is no real parallel to a U.S. award, but the plaque is conceptually similar in a way to the Bronze Star without Combat V. There are at least two fakes of this plaque which do not resemble the original, but as yet to my knowledge no significant effort at faking the original format.

Comment

Chris-
          Thanks very much for your info. Interesting stuff. I was wondering if anyone has seen any of these in the "flesh". I am assuming that these are pretty rare, has anybody got one in their collection? Best regards

Comment

Hello Jim,

Please check the Kurtz book that Chris mentioned and you can see the two fine examples in his collection. IMO these are very scarce.

Another Forum member owns Witzig's plaque, but I doubt the member wants this information public, or that he would ever post a photo of it.

Regards,
            John
            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hi John-
              Thanks I will check out that book.

Comment

Here's one to army paratrooper knights cross winner, Alfred Schwarzmann.

Comment

Holly Molly
                  Veru nice indeer Thanks Eric you have just made my day

Comment

Kretaschield

Hello,

please check out the following link and browse a little downwards, you will see there is much more to find on our beloved website the first tought

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/hono...n_portable.htm

Cordial greetings,
                    my collectionfield : German glider pilots

http://users.skynet.be/lw-glider/

Comment

Thanks David-
                      You know I noticed the link about 10 minutes before you posted your response while browsing some othe awards . Thanks for your post

Jimuk

Comment

Hello
                        John I do not mind posting a photo of said Plaque.Hope you are enjoying that para helmet as much as I did.
                        Cheers Jack

Comment

Comment

Photo
                            Last edited by Jack; 06-14-2009, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Jack mate-
                              Cheers for showing us Witzig's plaque. Regards

JimUK

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X