Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Album on Ebay - Doubts

Hi all

I have no intention on bidding on this album, however after looking at it a few times I have my doubts it is genuine, it appears to be 3 members of a reenactment group. I can't say why as the pictures aren't detailed enough but there is something about their stances and the photography which casts doubt in my mind. It's supposed to be a NCO course in 1943/44. Yet they seem very light on equipment and they look almost embarrassed when posing individually, most of the pictures I have, every Fallschirmjaeger was proud to have their photograph taken in posed shots.

Any thoughts by others or am I just getting a bit wary about all these albums!!?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ayphotohosting

Cheers

Looks indeed like some reenactment pictures.

Comment

HI ALL ,i myself also have been watching this album for the last few days, im no expert but the way the would be fj soldiers are posing is almost like a modeling catalogue the way dummies are positioned it just doesnt jell? just a thought especially when you put it against other period photos that where produced

Comment

Comment

Hello,

In the past I have seen an owned several fj-training photo-groups and there was always a lot of posing going on with weapons,friends,...etc. Sometimes in really ridiculous poses that had nothing to do with real wartime training exercises but more with macho behavior.
          But I think a hands on inspection of the photographicpaper that is used can give final conclusion about originality.

Cheers,
          Peter

Comment

Ok

OK - who's going to email the Bidders....

Comment

Hello 15parabattalion,

Come one, confess!
              You know the guys in the photoalbum, don't you?
              Or you know more about the people who did put it together?

Cheers,
              Peter

Comment

Peter

I know nothing about them (I wish I did so I could get some of their kit!), I just know about how soldiers train/act and how most take a pride in being photographed individually! Also yes, soldiers take posed pictures but you usually get one or two with a little and these guys are pretending to be

I also know about photography and they just look a bit to 'sharp' to me!

Cheers

Comment

Hello,

I must admit it looks strange, but I don't feel comfortable enough to say it is a 100% fake with what I can see.

Cheers,
                  Peter

Comment

Point taken! The thing that does bother me is that if they are reenactors and if they are party to a 'fraud', which effectively they are if they have agreed to try and sell their pics on ebay as genuine, then it goes against the whole ethos of reenacting!

However as you say they may be genuine - can anyone spot a digital watch.... ?

Comment

Hello parabattalion,

The power of the forum is hugh do not underestimate it!
                      And in the past I have said on this forum that I have my doubts about some items, and on some even that the are fake (I just did it in the Wherpass and the helmet section) but I'am always very carefull with giving an item a thumbs down because when you make a mistake the damage has been done and can't be repaired fast.
                      But if you are sure than it is ok for me.
                      We need people on this forum that speak what is on their mind, imo their are not enough present here and that is a shame.
                      Also thanks for posting this thread.

Cheers,
                      Peter
                      Last edited by peter u; 02-23-2007, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by peter u View Post
                        Hello parabattalion,

The power of the forum is hugh do not underestimate it!
                        And in the past I have said on this forum that I have my doubts about some items, and on some even that the are fake (I just did it in the Wherpass and the helmet section) but I'am always very carefull with giving an item a thumbs down because when you make a mistake the damage has been done and can't be repaired fast.
                        But if you are sure than it is ok for me.
                        We need people on this forum that speak what is on their mind, imo their are not enough present here and that is a shame.
                        Also thanks for posting this thread.

Cheers,
                        Peter

Hi there,

it is always difficult to say if something os good or bad on pictures! But i can only give you a tip!
                        Take a look at how the uniforms are beiing weared. look on Helmets, look on poses and faces of the soldiers!

you will see that none of what you see has something to do with real Fallschirmjaeger!!!
                        Even the writing in the Album is done good, but not that good! Also the cutting edge on the fotos show little of post ware production.

as i say, its all an help and tip on deciding each individual what to do with those tips!

cheers,
                        Eddy

Comment

I think it's easy to see how the photos displayed could be considered modern, but the seller says its an album of 181 photos. If they're faking it, i'd really like to see how the 'reenactors' could get away with 181 photos of themselves that dont look modern. I think the real test would be other photos. Someone want to ask the seller for other images of the album?
                          ------------------------------------------------
                          Collector of French ww2-era insignia.

Comment

These pictures may have been taken over a few months - snow and then no snow... Also with new digital cameras it is quite easy to snap hundreds of pictures in a few hours so the number is not relevant. Also you can see some are very close in 'pose' to the others, would a period cameraman waste pictures on near identical poses? I've asked the seller if he can send me some!

By the way I'm not saying the seller is party to any 'faking' he may have bought them in good faith, the other albums he has sold look 100% authentic - unless he has a spare 100 plus people and german uniforms and an empty German street for a few hours

Cheers

Comment

Hello 15parabatallion,

If your version appears to be the truth, what are we going to see next I wonder?
                              Long live the digital era!!!

I just noticed it there are several pictures were the soldiers are wearing dd-helmets very rare so far in the war with an actif unit.

Cheers,

Peter
                              Last edited by peter u; 02-23-2007, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X