FJ helmet decal.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FJ helmet decal.....

A member is considering buying this helmet. I had no problem with the helmet (can post the rest once he gives me the go ahead), but do have a problem with the decal. So, have posted just the decal for now. I think it is bad. Other opinions.......

Willi
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Willi Zahn; 04-05-2003, 09:45 PM.
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Willi, I must admit that the pattern of this decal looks OK to me, although you typically see a more ivory color. It almost looks like there was something under it that was scraped off, but I really hate to speculate from pics. Digital pictures, especially ones taken w/ a flash can be very very deceptive. I'd be willing to bet that this one looks a whole lot better in person. Just a hunch

Comment

I didn't notice anything about the decal ( I pulled a couple of mine and some pics I have) either but they're making the Luft. decals spot on, where you can't tell by a pic and must rely on how it was applied and the actual construction of the decal...
      Having said that the application does look to be less than best but as Andy said this one's tuff to determine from the pic alone...
      Anyone else see anything?
      Last edited by Perry Floyd; 04-05-2003, 04:32 PM.

Comment

I compared it against mine and couldn't see anything either. It does look like there is bare metal around the eagles tail, yet no wear to the decal?

Rich
        Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
        Decorations of Germany

Comment

Hi Willi,

The decal looks 'textbook' to me also. It does look as if it hasn't been lacquered well. Is there something you see that we don't?

John
          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Decal

Willi: As Gorden said, looks like it had one removed at one time and a new one re applied. Appears to have alot of excess clear from the decal showing ,as in a repo.To close to call. Bill V

Comment

I think the clear you are seeing is just the lacquer overcoat

Comment

As some have already said, looks like the original decal has been expertly removed at some stage and this decal applied over it. WRT the decal in the photo it is hard to say whether it is real or not. If it is a copy then it is a good one . Personally I don't like it , but that is purely based on how it looks in the photo. I would have to see it in the flesh to really know.
                Just my thoughts....I could be wrong !

Regards
                Steve

P.S. Willi, does this helmet have BW chinstrap by any chance ?

Comment

Interesting comments. There is just something about this decal that bothers me. Maybe the way the laquer was applied. But, the chip on the left wing and the wear on the helmet that appears under the tail draw my suspicions. Seeing it in person would solve the puzzle......the "finger" test as I call it.

Here are a few more pics of the helmet. Jürg had sent me the photos of it.

Willi
                  Attached Files
                  Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

The liner and straps look ok to me.
                    Attached Files
                    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

I compared the eagle to the LW samples I have and I will have to say that one of the things that bothers me is the color/tone of the eagle. I know that the tone of the LW eagles vary depending on the type of environment they have been exposed to. All the samples I have of LW eagle decals have a mellow yellowish color. I think that a white colored eagle nowadays should be quite the exception, don't you think? This one at hand has a completely white tone.

In addition, the liner is not in mint condition and shows that it has been used. I think that the lack of noticeable wear (except for two suspicious places were only the decal has been affected) may be interesting to consider. The samples I have have similar wear to the liner as this one here, but my samples exhibit noticeble scratches/abrasions that start on shell and follow through to the decal. I think the shell also shows some wear right outside the bottom area of the decal, yet the decal itself does not seem to be consistent with such wear.

Finally, I must admit that the excess clear decal (as BillV points out) or the lacquer overcoat that Andy points out looks a little suspicious to me. Is there a way to get a picture of the eagle from an angle so that the light reflecting on it may show if it is lacquer or part of the decal? I believe that the individual "arms" of the swastika should be carved out from the decal (i.e., there should be a space between the swastika arms that is not covered by the decal). I am not sure if this is true in all cases, but it is certainly true in my samples. Anyway, that is it.

P.S. The liner looks nice, I have no doubts about its authenticity
                      When you go home
                      Tell them for us and say
                      For your tomorrow
                      We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
                      Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X