FJ Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FJ Helmet

What do you guy's think of this helmet I found while searching some UK dealers site?

These are the only pics there are.

Thanks
    Phil

pic #2

Comment

Hi Phil,

I'd like to hear your thoughts on it, then we can discuss it from there.

Best,
      John
      Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hi John,

In that case I'm just guessing, I've decided to start learning about these, as my knowledge is very low. I thought the shape of the shell looked a bit of, I don't know about the liner, although my initial thoughts was that it doesn't look to good.

I can't learn if I don't ask questions and I don't really like assessing things I don't know about as I'm usually totally off the mark.

Phil

Comment

My only observations, and I am certainly far from being a seasoned veteran with these, is that the angle on the front appears to be rather sharp in the photo. I've held mine up in front of my monitor at approx the same angle and it doesn't have quite the extreme "bend" at the visor area. However, mine is a camo with a very thick sawdust-paintjob so it's somewhat difficult to get an exact comparison.

I also noticed that the foam inserts seem somewhat wide, compared to both mine and other good ones I've seen. In width I mean their actual thickness.

As I said I don't have enough experience to really give it a thumbs up or down, especially only using these (not very good) photos. I'd certainly want to see some more, and more detailed photos before buying it myself.

Just my thoughts.

Adam

Comment

Hi Phil,

You aren't off the mark, and you should feel free to give your opinions here, and keep asking questions! It really doesn't hurt to be wrong, no grades given, and if we expelled all those that have made mistakes, the Forum would have no members. I'm still making mistakes, as few as possible, and still learning.

Adam has noted several valid points. First, the photos are poor, so an exact judgement is difficult. The pads are thick, and they are also totally uniform in grey color. The pads look new, and probably are. The angle of the "visor" looks odd to me as well.

The chinstrap looks pretty new also, which in itself isn't a problem, but perfect chinstraps are usually found on unissued helmets, not ones with as much wear as this one appears to have.

Any other thoughts?

Best,
            John
            Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Thanks Adam and John for your comments,

I was partly right then , I think it is a good way for me to exspand my knowledge i.e. posting photo's of stuff giving my opinion of it, and waiting for fellow forum members to respond. The seller who is selling it isn't the most trustworthy person anyway, so thats why I was quite sceptical about it.

You're right about the photo's, they aren't of the best quality and there not that detailed either.

Regards
              Phil

Comment

In the picture of the inside of the helmet, behinde the number, the folded in edge of the helmet doesnt look good at all.
                What do you think?

JL

Comment

Hi Guys, I have held this helmet in person at Birmingham Arms Fair a few weeks ago. It is a 100% Czech fake.............
                  Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Could be a total Czech fake, but as many have said, tough to be "absolute" from the photos. My "concerns" are that the foam rubber padding is certainly new, don't like the liner and the straps. Tough to tell on the shell, without a nice side view.....likely it is not good.

Willi
                    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi Willi, I posted as you did. I can confirm the shell is the classic Czech shape that you have spoke about so many times in the past. As you say, pics are one thing, but when you see one of these in real life, the strange shape to the profile of the rim is evident. This is provided you know what a real one looks like. I can understand how many people have been fooled by them in the past if you have only seen a FJ helmet in a few pics.
                      Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thanks for the futher info guy's I thought it might be a Czech one,

Ade, Do you know if the dealer sold the helmet? what do you think of the rest of his stock? as I've considered buying a few things of him in the past.

Cheers
                        Phil

Comment

Hi Phil,

A final comment. Though small and hard to judge, the decal looks as bad as the shell. The angle of the swas. to the eagle is all wrong...

regards,
                          JH
                          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hi Phil, no, the helmet did not sell. I asked to see it just to let a freind handle one of these duffers. I am not sure of the price he was asking, but I seem to recall it was about £2,000? It is the same dealer who's website the photos came from
                            Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Perhaps I am a "purist" in the sense that I do not want a helmet to be messed with at all. The pads of the liner are so clearly incorrect that any further examination for me becomes a moot point. If the liner has been messed with, obviously that means the helmet has been taken apart, and it just goes down hill from there. I much rather have a great shell with a rat nest for a liner (minus the rats) than a mint conditioned "Frankenstein" helmet made up of great pieces of different helmets. Just my 2 cents.
                              When you go home
                              Tell them for us and say
                              For your tomorrow
                              We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
                              Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X