Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What has this originally been?

Hello,
    I received this piece of Sumpfmuster43 fabric from one of our veterans. He remembers having cut it out of a much larger piece of fabric back in fall of 1944 and having used it as a scarf during late war.

It is made up of two pieces of fabric, machine-sewn up together in the center. One edge is thoroughly folded in and sewn down on a sewing machine with the same bluegrey thread used to sew the two parts together.
    The fabric is quite lightweight and has the distinct feel of a mixed-fibre material.

Does anybody have a suggestion what this fabric has been part of before it was cut up?

best regards,
    Volker

Hello Volker, I know from my father that they made scarfs out of parachute silk
    (Fallschirmseide), but I don't know if parachutes came in Sumpftarn.
    Regards, Hardy

Comment

Hard to say for sure Volker. Could be from a padded winter jacket. Would have to see how it matches up to the back.
      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Oh, I just see that I forgot to note the dimensions: both panels are about 85 cm long, so sewn up, the whole construction is 170 cm long.
        My veteran friend Willy R. showed me how he wore the scarf: folded in half where it is sewn up the middle, then hanging it around the neck and pushing the double end through the double layers.
        It builds up not too massively around the neck due to the thin nature of the fabric.

best regards,
        Volker

Comment

Donate it to the Volksbund. To me, case closed.
          Last edited by Ypenburg; 12-16-2006, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Sorry, I may be behind in some correspondence and I know I tend to overlook the PM box, but the copies have been sent in a padded envelope as promised.
            I'll be glad to either return your funds or send you a second set.

best regards,
            Volker

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X