FJ Helmet opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FJ Helmet opinion

Could I get your opinions of this M38 helmet. The helmet is stamped ET68 while the stamp on the apron is not very visiable. The outside of the helmet appears black. Evidence of a green color underneath is visiable under certain parts of the helmet. In my opinion, the black paint has been there a very long time. By looking at the decal under a loupe, it also appears that the decal was applied over the black paint, and if it wasn't someone took significant time to ecsure the decal was never painted. Has anyone ever run across this type of painting scheme before. The story is that this came out of Belgium off of/near a panzer unit. I'm not much for stories, but I thought I'd add that.

Thanks Jeff

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Jeff,

Based on your photos, it looks like that decal has been "dug out". Someone painted the helmet black (postwar) and then someone else dug the decal out. Commonly done to a post-war repainted helmet. I have seen some wacky paint jobs over the years....one was even metallic blue..... Clearly this shell was in pretty bad shape before someone painted it black.

Willi
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Willi

Thanks for the reply and nice talking to you again. There is no question that this helmet has been repainted at some time. Today, I took another look at the decal under the loupe and I'm fairly sure this decal was never dug out. Painted around most likely.
              Taking this helmet for what it is(repainted), is the condition of the inside vs. the outside of this helmet the indication that it is repainted post war?
              With your experience, have ever known of a black FJ helmet to exist?

P.S. You can pick either forum to respond or both if you wish

Thanks Jeff

Comment

Hi Jeff,

You have this shell in front of you, so it is hard for me to imagine what the paint looks/smells like. No black FJ helmets were used. And even if so, the paint on this doesn't look era. And yes, the rust on the inside indicates a very beat up shell.....the paint on the outside is mint. A dugout decal is one where the paint has been removed. In other words, when a helmet was painted post-war, it is much easier to remove that extra paint with a solvent of some type. This normally removes the layer of varnish from over the decal and fades the decal out. This could be the original condition of the decal, based on the condition of the inside, and was painted around. Alot of helmets were painted post-war for various reasons.

Willi
                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

I believe that I'll leave the paint as is on this helmet. I'm not disatisfied that this is a post war paint job, it was still a really great deal. I bought the helmet with the assumption that everything was peroid except the paint.

What are you feeling about repro liners? Cost wise, you surely must save a ton a cash. I haven't event looked for the availability/price of a real liner. Or should a person leave a piece alone and as is. I've had one site http://www.germanparahelmet.com/
                  recommended to be for repro liners, any suggestions what I should do, or other great liner guys.

Thanks Jeff

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X