X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another bad looking eBay Lid

Another helmet from ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=4078

Hard to tell from the photos but the rust looks a little too fresh, their is mildew or mold of some kind on the leather (which says to me water might have been used to dry it and give it an aged effect), and chinstraps seem like they are the wrong color.

Willi, Eric--what do you guys think? Something just doesn't seem right about this helmet to me.
    Last edited by Willi Zahn; 03-12-2003, 10:34 PM.

I would offer an opinion that says this is yet another of the large sized 71 marked Czech remakes...it has all the characteristics including the chemically pre-aged white residue that causes grime, rust, and dark spots. I've handled at least two of these remake shells that have had this white paint on them -- seems about the same.

Brian

Comment

Actually I did just hear from the seller. He is selling the helmet on consignment and doesn't have any history on it. No footed one on the ET71 he reports...but I did tell him that I personally didn't like the look of the helmet and suggested that he might want a second opinion on it.

I don't know if he'll do anything but I hate to see someone waste their money on something like this. I might be completely wrong and maybe it is a good helmet...but I agree with Brian, this just looks too much like one of those Czech fakes to me.
      Last edited by Peter_Suciu; 03-12-2003, 05:36 PM.

Comment

I can usually tell a fake para liner to an original but I have difficulty in determining the fake czech shells from originial. What am I missing?

Comment

I agree....all very, very bad . A Czech one it is.

Hard to explain the shell shape based on these photos. The rear flange is normally too angled and the flange is too long. When you see a size 71 shell, you just have to have a quick look at the liner and straps....and in most cases, as in this one, the camo paint. These Czech helmets have "that look".once you figure it out, they are easily spotted. Sorry if the answer can not be more absolute Ty, it just isn't that easy.

Willi
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

white camo para

Willi and Eric,
            This is a czech fake, you can definately tell by the brownish chinstraps and the liner has been artifically soiled to give it the appearance of age (but I guarantee the leather is only 10years old).
            But what really strikes me is the last photo showing the front of the helmet. They just cannot get the angle correct on the front rim, it has that flat pug-faced appearance.

What is scary is how easily white paint can take on the appearance of age.
            John

Comment

JohnB, you mention that brownish chinstraps are a sign of Czech fakes. I am pretty sure that brown chinstraps are OK, considering that I have a para helmet with remnants of brown chinstraps. Perhaps I will post pics of it in a new thread.
              When you go home
              Tell them for us and say
              For your tomorrow
              We gave our today

--Inscription in the 5th Marine Division cemetery,
              Iwo Jima 1945

Comment

Yes, original chinstraps can come in a very dark shade of brown. Very tough to even recognize. Several of mine have them. They seem to be early ('40 or '41) issue.

The straps on the above helmet are just a mess......most Czech repros use bluegray ones...really a moot point on that helmet.

Willi
                Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Many of the blue/grey straps are just brown leather that have been dyed blue/grey. When this has worn off through use or been cleaned badly by another collector , you may find your blue straps appear quite brown.

Regards
                  Steve

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X