T&W Smock Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T&W Smock Introduction

Simple question: What is the earliest identifiable usage of the tan and water jumpsmock?

Good question Jack,

As far as I know they were first made in 43, but I've never found photos of them in wear until late 44. In fact, period photos of tan/waters in wear are fairly scarce.

Best,
    John
    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

I agree.........'43 dated is the earliest seen. '44 is the earliest I have seen worn in photos. Not a single FJ veteran I have ever spoken too had seen a water smock worn. Now granted, most the ones I know were captured by the late summer of '44, so it is possible they had not yet been introduced.

Willi
      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

The top picture on page 80 of "Fallschirmjager, les parachutists Allemands en France", by Alain Chazette, shows an officer wearing a TW smock in Normandy, so at least one of them made it there.
        Another nice picture in the same book, on page 93, proves that at least one smock made it to Saint Malo, Brittany.

Fergus.

Comment

Thanks for the answers guys. Fergus, welcome aboard! Hope to see you at Spring Hill.

Comment

Hello,

Tan and Water smocks are definitly used in april 1945.
            We received a jumpsmock in T&W camo today in our museum.
            It was found in april 1945 in Eefde by Zutphen in Holland. The 6st FJ division was located there during the fights at the end of the war against the Canadian Liberators. The smock was picked up by a 17 (then) year old boy who kept it for more then 60 years, so he could donate it to us today.

I will post pic's in a new thread. You can see it there.

Greets
            museum40-45.com
            Last edited by mgschutze; 06-16-2007, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Hi,
              here is a photo of E. P, 6/FJR2, north of Brest august 44 . He receive his new Tan Water jump smock in late may 44 back from Russia.
              Herlé
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by H BABERT View Post
                Hi,
                here is a photo of E. P, 6/FJR2, north of Brest august 44 . He receive his new Tan Water jump smock in late may 44 back from Russia.
                Herlé

...and receive the M.A.B. (Moschetto Automatico Beretta) from Italy. Nice picture!

Comment

Originally posted by H BABERT View Post
                  Hi,
                  Herlé

...and receive the M.A.B. (Moschetto Automatico Beretta) from Italy. Nice picture!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X