Question about rank insignia on smocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about rank insignia on smocks

Eric, on page 127 of your book you show a picture of Hauptmann Prager wearing Heer rank insignia on the lower portion of M-36 smock sleeve. While the text on page 128 describes this as silver alumininum Tresse, the photograph gives the impression that the insignia for Hauptmann actually consisted of two different colors. The 1.5cm stripes seem to be of one color and the 0.9cm stripe of another. Do you know if Prager's rank insignia was two different colors or if this is just an optical illusion?
    Thanks,
    Gerry

Hi Gerry,

According to the official regulations, the tresse used to indicate rank on the M38 smocks should only vary in terms of width, not color ( although from the photo in question, I can see how someone whould have that impression ). I imagine there could be a number of factors which could contribute to this illusion. It is very possible that the different widths of this aluminum tresse could have been sourced from different suppliers, resulting in a variance in color and/or base material used ( which could result in a variance in the way the aluminum reflects light, thus giving the appearace of different shades or colors ).

Unfortunately, I don't have the exact answer, but I would think that there could be a number of factors that could acount for this.

Thanks for the interest in the book, I appreciate it.

Take care,

Eric

Comment

Thanks, Eric. I've never seen a M-36 smock with Hauptmann's insignia in person, so I've been intrigued by this photograph ever since I first saw it in Klaus Peters' book, Fallschirmjager Rgt. 3 - Vol 1 . Always thought that was one of Fritz Prager's best photographs.

Gerry

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X