Recent Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recent Find

A recent find size 68cm M38 double decal apple green M38 with full documentation from veteran's family. Note aluminum slotted bolts and late pattern liner and chinstrap -- untouched since 1950's and sitting in the back of a closet in a blanket.

Comment

Comment

Comment

FJ helmet

I don't know FJ helmets well, but what a find !
          I never seem to find the good ones. Did you get this in Virginia?

Comment

Brian

I remember this on e-bay a while back and the auction ended early.
            Thanks for posting it.

Comment

From what I understand the seller had posted this on ebay many months back and it was cancelled....? He was the grandson of the man who brought this back in May 1945 . I don't think he was able to get a buyer for some time.

Through a series of connections he and I made contact and discussed the helmet at length. The helmet was located in NY City and the money was needed to support family expenses.

Many of these helmets, the ones from estates that I acquire, come by way of family members who need the cash for other things (debt reduction, lost employment, health issues, etc), and they are not necessarily wanting to keep something that others might pay for even if its a family heirloom.

Part of the deal was to get the documentation on the helmet to ensure that it was not discredited in any way, as you can see the liner, bolts, chinstrap are not commonly seen on these early double decal model helmets and it runs the risk of someone claiming that it has been postwar rebuilt using original parts.

From what I would surmise, this shell was reissued from old stocks -- it does appear worn, but it is undamaged. I think most of the knowledgable FJ folks on this list will agree that reissuing of these early shells did happen -- I guess this one is good evidence of it. I've not seen one in "the books" that is configured in this way which makes it interesting to me.

Brian

Comment

Brian

I have also bought several helmets that way. It always amazed me when people sold their fathers war trophies, but I come from a family that has always been in the military.
                I guess if the stuff does not interest you and you need the $ its not a hard decision.

Para helmets are not a real strength of mine but I do agree with you the earlier shells were re-issued. As a matter a fact I saw one last week.
                It was a 71 shell (real) DD smooth green paint with a smaller size liner bolted into it. It had the dark colored late padding. It was a documented direct veteran purchase.

Thanks again for posting a neat helmet.

Not a para but here is a camo one I got from a vets son who was more than happy to take the $
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Brian,
                  Real nice find! I have the opposite problem, the vets family members are eager to sell dads uniform and stuff, just not the nazi stuff. Go figure?
                  Terry Keller
                  "ihr wollt doch auch das Blut vom Degen lecken"
                  Rammstein

Comment

Hi Brian,
                    Great helmet....super decals. I read your piece about UV lights on your web site. Do me a favour and test the eagle....I bet it glows like mad .

Regards
                    Steve

p.s. I miss your old chat forum...except for Mr C .

Comment

Matt...I spoke with the owner of your camo too when it first got listed on ebay. I liked it and its an excellent untouched example. I wanted the story behind where it came from. I'm glad it went into good hands. Brian

For SMP......the old forum? You don't mean you really miss that do you?

Comment

Nice helmet Brian!

I would say that most of the DD M38s I have seen had been upgraded near the end of the war with new straps and liners. Changing the bolts make sense too. It seems like many DD M38s were brought out from storage (or from the Fallschirm Schulen) and reissued in during the fall of '44, when the 1st Fallschirm Armee was formed in Holland. After the losses suffered at Normandy, mnay FJ units were rebuilt and new ones created.....

Willi
                        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X