crème de la crème ( at least for me )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crème de la crème ( at least for me )

This probably won't interest most people, but is one of my very favorite paratrooper pieces. This is an original photo of the very first class to go through the jump course at Stendal, beginning in April of 1936. This particular piece was a presentation piece for Major Bruno Brauer ( the very first German paratrooper / Fallschirmschuetzenschein # 1 ), and signed by all the members of the first class ( of which Brauer was a part ). Notice many are wearing the "General Goering" sleevebands.

Here is the reverse with the presentation to Brauer, and the signatures of Rau and the others. Truly a one of a kind piece.

Comment

Giday Eric,

What a fantastic piece! Thanks for sharing this with us.

All the best,

Ian

Comment

Giday Eric,

I note that one of the jäger who signed the back of the photograph was Uffz Hofmann.

As you may know, the second in command of Sturmgrüppe Beton was Oberfeldwebel Hofmann.

While I accept that "Hofmann" is quite a common surname, I was wondering whether the Hofmann who was a member of the first class of paratroopers and the Hofmann of Sturmgrüppe Beton might in fact be the same person? What do you think? Does anyone know the answer?

While on the subject of Sturmgrüppe Beton, does anyone know what Oberfeldwebel Hofmann's Christian name was?

I look forward to hearing from you.

All the best,

Ian

Comment

Ok, how common is the last name Schucke???? I own one HG peaked enlisted cap named to a Feldwebel Schucke. Cap is 1937 dated. This name is listed among the signers as an Obj Schucke. Could it be????

Comment

Named HG Cap

Here is the interior of the cap. I believe this is the same name as one of the listed.
            Attached Files

Comment

This is really an unique and amazing piece of history.
              A beauty.
              The last signed name appears to be Herrmann. Would it be the Obst. Harry Herrmann who ended the war with the command of the 9. Fallsch.Jäg.Div. ?
              Thanks for sharing
              Denis

Comment

Absolutely wonderful piece Eric!
                Thanks,
                John
                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Dear Eric,

A super piece!

@Jack Melvin:
                  There is no "Schücke" among the soldiers who signed. The one you think is the same is "Schelske".

Cheers, Frank
                  Cheers, Frank

Comment

Frank, thanks. I at times have trouble reading the handwriting on many of these items. I really get lost in soldbuchs.

Comment

Thanks guys for the comments, I appreciate that.

Ian, unfortunately, I don't know anything about Uffz.Hofmann. Perhaps that is something that Jean Yves may be able to help with.

Jack, still a very nice cap ( regardless if it is named to one of these guys or not ) Great piece.

One thing I really like about this piece, is the signature of Hptm. Immans / Hptm. u. Lehrgangleiter ( upper left ). I believe he was one of the very first Germans to jump from a plane ( trained by the Russians in 1935 ). He was the leader of this first training group ( althought Brauer received FSS # 1 ( the day after the training completed on Juli 4, 1936 ) because he was the ranking officer ). I even think the original name of this training group was
                      "Ausbildungskommando Immans".

EQ

Comment

Thanks for sharing it, Eric. This photo is the kind of piece that make us "taste" more and more Fallschirmjägers´ history.
                        Wich are the rests of the signatures? Can you provide us a list showing the FJ appearing on it?
                        Hofmann, Hptm. Immans / Hptm. u. Lehrgangleiter, Herrmann... I see there are great personalities. It may be interesting knowing or trying to search the rest of them.
                        Thanks. Óscar.

Comment

Giday Oscar,

The names of the men in the picture are as follows:

Back Row: Mego, Hofmann, Volkmann, Zinke, Adryan, Bauer, Helmbold, Dochow, Hasse.

Middle Row: Petrick, Wittmann, Diete, Schulze, Scheiske, Lineck, Loos.

Front Row: Dunz, Dr Greiling, Kroh, Bräuer, Immans, Kuhno, Rau, Moll, Kiess.

All the best,

Ian Tannahill

Comment

Thank you for your attention and help, Ian.
                            I´ve noticed there appears Hans Kroh ... Very useful your information!
                            All the best. Óscar

Comment

Hi Eric,

Just come back from Holidays.

Well, this one of the most moving piece of history I have seen for ages !

I imagine that only each person on the picture received it!

Jean-Yves

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X