Paratrooper badge - original or fake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paratrooper badge - original or fake?

On a bird there is a test 800. A wreath - an alloy. The hairpin is restored, is similar that in those times, and the hook was attached later and anew gilt. Repeated gilding has lain in letters "F" and "à". A needle of a hairpin - usual steel. Initial gilding of a wreath was kept only in deepenings for rivets and under wings
    What your opinion?
    Thank.

revers

Comment

Your pics don't appear
      Check your link and use the IMG button in the control bar. In the Prompt box, enter the full URL giving the link to your pic.
      Regards
      Denis

Comment

Hang about for a bit and the pics will eventually load up as they are located on a very slow server in Russia.

Comment

links:
          http://www.ostbataillon.fromru.com/prod_paratrupper.jpg
          http://www.ostbataillon.fromru.com/p...per_revers.jpg

Comment

Here is an original 2nd pattern .800 silver WH Para badge. This example has never been engraved. As you will see, if you are familiar with the aluminium badges, this badge has been struck on the same dies used by C E Juncker to produce the 2nd pattern 1937/38 WHPBs and the 1943 pattern badges in feinzink. As you will also see, the badge shown by Ostbat is not like this badge.

Prosper Keating
            Attached Files

Comment

Pix wouldn't load so refer to post below...

PK
              Last edited by Prosper Keating; 02-23-2003, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Here is the reverse of the badge shown above by Ostbat. Below it iks another genuine 2nd pattern WHPB in .800 silver. As you can all see, the name of the recipient has been erased. This badge was sold by Niemann some years ago. In my opinion, the badge shown by our friend from Kiev, ‘Ostbat’, is clearly an attempt to replicate this well-known genuine badge with the inscription half-erased. If Ostbat is considering buying this badge that he has shown us, I would advise him not to. This thread certainly adds grist to the mill of the argument that we should be wary of showing originals to the fakers. However, it also vindicates the counter-argument that the fakers can never get it right.

Just look at the differences between these badges. Mind you, the engraving is not a bad attempt but I am sure that a physical examination would soon expose the fact that the engraving was done by entirely different craftsmen, working some sixty-five years apart. Hand-engraving it like hand-writing, you see. Note also the attempt to cover up the difference in the hook arrangement by effecting a 'repair'. Note, too, the 'steel' pin and its shape and compare it to the original silver pins and their graceful form. Period replacements? Possible but improbable. The badge is, in any case, merely one of a recent batch of fakes that have caught out more than a few people who were either unfamiliar with the WHPB - in which case they should not be spending thousands of dollars on them! - or motivated by greed and the misguided belief that they could get an example of a badge of which a mere dozen or so survive for about 20% of the price last achieved by such a badge. Sorry to be harsh but that's how it is.

Prosper Keating

Attached Files
                Last edited by Prosper Keating; 02-23-2003, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Engraving

The engraving alone to this badge is indeed a dead giveaway, as so astutely pointed out by Mr. Keating.

Best Regards,

Phil

Comment

Many thanks to all! This badge has bought one my familiar in Nizhni Novgorod. I shall pass it your opinion. Once again thank!

Comment

A pleasure to have been able to help you. I hope that your friend did not pay too much and that he can get his money back.

Regards,

Prosper

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X