FJ "Greendevils" camo on Manions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FJ "Greendevils" camo on Manions...

Who wouldn't kill for one like this......but, a real one......
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Willi Zahn; 02-12-2003, 11:24 PM.
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

The other side......
    Attached Files
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Another view......
      Attached Files
      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Another.......
        Attached Files
        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Last one......
          Attached Files
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Question about emblem

Willi,

Can you provide some info on the green devil emblem for a newbie?

Is it a regimental insignia? Or is it just playing off of the 'Green Devil' nickname?

Thanks,

- James

Comment

Some of these "fakes" look almost good enough for the collection. Too bad they aren't $400 instead of $4000. At $400 I think I could look at this helmet and enjoy it.

I'd stash it away when people like you would come over but the rest of the time I could fool the natives with my collection of ultra rare helmets!

Comment

FJ Helmets from Manion

I think that most FJ helmet's from this auction house are probably bogus. I just hope people are aware of this.

Comment

Tough to be absolute, based on the photos, on the liner and the straps. But, not on the paint and emblem.

On the "Green Devils" emblem and it's history. Not known to have been painted on helmets.....the emblem was adopted by the 1st Fallschirmjäger Division at some point in early to mid 1944. The 1st FJD fought in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th battles of Cassino, from Feb to May of 1944. Most seem to speculate that the Allies gave the FJs defending Monte Cassino this nickname at some point. Apparently German propaganda types picked up on this and spread the word around. I have heard this on original German newsreels....with the commentator stating that the name came from the Allies.

Several helmets with this insignia have been showing up in Europe on bad Czech helmets recently. They all seem, as this one may also, find a home in some collection...sad to say.

Willi
                  Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Thanks Willi - had not seen this emblem before - not that that means much - but good to know the 'history'.

- James

Comment

there is a Fallschirmjäger sing with the title "Wir sind die grünen Teufel" dont know about the origin but it goes something like this:

Wir sind die grünen Teufel,
                      Augen stets offen und klar.
                      Klingt die Musik der Motoren,
                      geben wir nichts verloren,
                      springen bei jeder Gefahr.

forgot about the rest, sorry

Gruß,
                      KSM

Comment

Hi KSM, yes you are correct! I have the words in a FJ songbook somewhere.....

Willi
                        Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

It was just a song i overheard when i was at the Luftlande- und Lufttransportschule in Altenstadt- the LL-guys are still singing these songs- "Rot scheint die Sonne", "Auf Kreta" etc.- but not very good i have to add, and usually they stop singing when the get thrown out of the UH-1D

Gruß,
                          KSM

Comment

greendevil fantasy piece

Willi, Just so there is no confusion on this helmet. At a first glance at the photo, the shape of the shell is wrong (typical of the czech repo) and the paint is not the least bit convincing.

For 30 years has anyone ever seen this greendevil on a helmet? I doubt it, any period pics? I doubt it. THen all of a sudden one or two show up with minty liners.

I would bet heavily that there is nothing real to this helmet.
                            John

Comment

I agree John, the Czech shell shape is evident...the rear flange The liner is probably the same.....just wanted to be objective by stating from the pics we can not always be absolute.

BTW, I may be heading down to DC in March, if you are around. Are you guys going to head to the Harrisburg show the end of March (22-23)?

Willi
                              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X