Denkmal auf Kreta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Denkmal auf Kreta

Here is a photo of the monument built by II/ Sturm Rgt, and how it looked during a visit there during the summer of 1989. I will try to post a photo of what it looked like my last trip there during 2001. If anyone has others, feel free to post them.

Willi
    Attached Files
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Eagle has landed

Willy do a search on this forum and you will find another thread about the denkmal. I can tell you the eagle is not on the denkmal anymore.

Comment

Hi Volkbert, yes I now remember we discussed this before....oops!

Anyhow, here is another photo of the Denkmal when I was there in May of 2001, for the 60th anniversary. Some members of another re-enacting unit, 5./FJR6, had just cleaned the monumnet a few days before.

Willi
      Attached Files
      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Please check this website :
        http://www.fallschirmjaeger-denkmal.de/
        Hope you enjoy it.
        Regards,
        Joseph

Comment

From the guestbook of the Friends of the Kreta Denkmal website:

(67) PAVLOS-IDOMENEAS schrieb am:22.11.2002 um:22:45 Uhr

Homepage:

Greetings from Griechenland.I have some informations for the denkmal.This monument destroyed twice in its history but never by the Greek people.Between the years 1950-1955,2 German oficers came back in Kreta and smashed the head of the eagle because of a rumor for a quantity of gold inside the head.After that many Kretans(mr.Paterakis,mr Bandouvas-commanders of the partizans-and other veterans of the battle)offered money and work for the preservation of the monument.In October 2001 the eagle destroyed at all by a group of anarchoextremists with no nationality(who acts under the protection of the mayor of Hania because of pollitical reasons)and not by a storm(sic!)All the citizens of Hania knows that and got angry(the city is full of turkish monument(400years occupation) but they are doing nothing.
          Interesting! I love the story about the two German officers on a treasure hunt! But the other story awakens very violent instincts indeed! Anarcho-Extremists my arse! Bunch of workshy reds and malcontents if you ask me. So they like breaking stones up, eh? I'd like to employ them to break stones: twenty years on a chaingang in an anthracite quarry!

Prosper Keating

Prosper Keating

Comment

How Very Sad

What a lousy stinking rotten shame.
            Would that it were rebuilt
            With a crew in place to protect.

The vast majority of soldiers fought
            because they were soldiers,
            not because they were political, IMHO.

B. Rgds,
            Phil

"Those who do not learn from history are condemned to repeat it."

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X