Para Helmet - Estate Sale Find, Opinions Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Para Helmet - Estate Sale Find, Opinions Please

What a dream come true. Found at an estate sale of WWII vet. No decal with late war solid slotted bolts. Appear to be steal bolts not Aluminum. Unfortunately, liner is dried out and less than half of the chinstrap remains. Shell stamped CKL68 on rear with serial number. How does this look?

3 quick pictures..
    Attached Files

Para helmet

Got the major hat from the estate sale too.
    Attached Files

Comment

Para helmet

Picture of the liner too, Can still see the size and manufacture stamps but liner is very dried in some areas.

Comment

Nice and untampered with...one of those "sure wish it could talk" helmets. Good going.
        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Yes Ty, a nice find! Looks like one bolt fell out at some time, common on these aluminum bolts....and hence the missing side of the chinstrap. Nice to see an untouched one.

Willi
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Para helmet

Thanks for your comments Willi,
            In fact one bolt is missing. Can you tell if this is an aluminum or steel sloted bolt? I was guessing the late war no decal helmets would likely have steel bolts. I really can't determine by looking at it.

For presentation I would consider adding an original bolt, Do you know where I may be able to find an original.

Thanks - ty

Comment

Nice find..Did the cap and things come with it? That's the way you'll find alot of stuff like that..A box full of common WWII U.S. stuff and a $1K-$4K item mixed in there...I love that feeling..

Comment

Para helmet

Hi Perry,
                Yes, came with a bunch of stuff including his hats, uniforms and some medals. The helmet was thought of as the junk piece of the lot.

Comment

Hi Ty, yes that helmet has slotted non-ventilated aluminum bolts. You commonly encounter this style of helmet with no decals.....I guess about a 50/50 mix of with decals or without, based on my observations.

Yes, you can find an original aluminum bolt with the proper nuts. I have quite a few sets, but unfortunately I can not break up a set of 4. I can keep my eye out for you, or make a few calls for one. Watch out for the bad ones on ebay. Let me know if I can help.

Willi
                  Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Para helmet

Hi Willi - I just sent you a PM - thanks - Ty

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X