F.J. dogtags.... help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neat pics,,
    As re-enactors does everyone keep a period wallet/papers? Money? Personal period looking items such as a wristwatch, period looking/constructed underwear (whew!)? Does everyone speak German? Is food eaten like would be available to a FJ at the time? How close do you try to get to the real thing? If a accurate tag is needed I guess the above mentioned is done too?

I know CW re-enacting is big here in N.C. also Revolutionary War re-enacting as well. I'm not really sure what lengths are taken there...I know WWII U.S. re-enactors use the real thing when they can.

Comment

a lot of the smaller, personal impression items just depends on how far you personally want to go.

myself, I have a reproduction wallet with original period paper currency and coinage inside, a reproduction Soldbuch and cover which we are to have filled out by someone who specializes or offers this type service, and even have correct unit stamps. much of the information is filled out as the originals, with the exception that in the back we stamp the date/year of each event we attend with the unit and the name of the event.
      I also keep a reproduction schiesbuch.

I have two original period wristwatches with reproduction bands. both keep excellent time. I have a gorgeous Segerin with brown leather bands I wear with my Gmax Fliegerbluse, and a nice Glycine withweb band. this watch has some scratches on the glass, and the nickel finish is worn down to the silver so I wear this one in the field. both have Luftwaffe serial nummers on the back. (6 digit beginning with D)

personal items like this really round out the impression and take a long time to build up, picking up a small item here or there.

I have a matching set of 39 dated Luftwaffe aluminum mess hall silverware I eat with out of my original mess tin.

at events we have period style cooking and in the field bring things like homemade breads, pepperoni or beef stick, a wedge of cheese, and an apple or two.
      we are all trying to work on our German speaking a bit.

we try to do everything as authentically and correct as we can. to preserve the history for future generations, it is our mission and obligation to do so.

in the barracks we had members who made things like correct period stools and tables, had a homemade drop cannister, and things like original crates and items set up on display.
      Willi even made some enlarged copies of Luftwaffe and F.J. postcards and we hung them like posters around the barracks. it was really nice.

Comment

also, most of my impression is reproduction... F.J. is just too cost prohibitive to use original smocks, trousers, helmets, etc. and risk damaging them during a battle.

my canteen, breadbag, mess kit, belt buckle, bayonet, gravity knife, G43 are all original. the rest is the most authentic and quality reproductions available and must meet rigorous unit standards for approval. there is nothing that good reenactors hate more than someone who is FARB (F*&$#@%g 'aint right boy!)

thanks Perry for bringing up these questions... I had fun answering them!
        Bri

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X