BrunoMado

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A FJ as he appeared during Kreta in 1941..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A FJ as he appeared during Kreta in 1941..

Here is a view of a FJ during Kreta; green step-in smock, splinter clip-on helmet cover, '41 dated 6-pocket MP40 pouch with burgundy leather trim and shoulder strap, pre-war dated leather gear and an early spanner bolt M38 helmet.

WZ
    Attached Files
    Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Superb! How strange that more use was not made throughout the Wehrmacht of such a practical magazine carrying system when compared to the more common left and righthanded pouches. That helmet cover must be one of a handful, if that, of surviving examples!

Prosper

Comment

Willi,

Could you elaborate on the use of scarves by FJs? It looks like your example is using a bit of parachute material but I have seen other period photos of guys wearing poka-dotted scarves, etc.

Were these regimental items? Personal items? Just curious - have not found too much written about this practice other than just drawing attention to it via a photo caption. I was hoping to find something more about it in a recently procured copy of "Luftwaffe Uniforms and Insignia Vol 2" by Davis - but thus far I have not found any further details.

Thanks,

- James

Comment

This poka dot kerchief was found in the chest pocket of a splinter step in jump smock.
        Attached Files
        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

The scarf is just a piece of RZ20 parachute.....for display. FJs commonly wore some kind of scarf.....all kinds of colors, based on various units' desires. That one that John posted seems to be the most common.....very cool John, BTW! I have two yellow scarves that came in a Luftwaffe mapcase named to a FJ senior NCO. Sveral FJ veterans have told me they wore peices of parachute......protected the neck from being rubbed raw from gear and the smock.

Yes Prosper those MP40 pouches were quite unique. Though not a FJ item (most think they were either made for Pioniers or vehicle crews), you do see photos of FJs wearing them. I think Chris Mason has a great shot of a FJ walking in Italy wearing one. A few shots in Klaus Peters' FJR3 volumes too. Usually, you see them worn on the belt via the two loops on the back. Could also be attached to y-straps. They were issued with shoulder straps, so I though it best to display it with the straps.

Willi
          Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Giday Willi,

I have a friend who as a member of the 13th Kompanie, Fallschirmjäger Regiments 1 and 4. He participated in the jump on Sicily.

My friend told me that prior to the jump on Sicily he was issued a yellow coloured scarf which was rathy itchy. Perhaps the yellow scarves you mentioned above are examples of the scarf I have described above. If you ever wish to sell one of the scarves please drop me a line.

All the best,

Ian

Comment

Hello Ian,

That is FANTASTIC information! You might have just broken the code.. I have had this map case for years......it is marked to a senior NCO of "Granatwerfer Bataillon 2". I have always wondered about the choice of the color yellow. The 13th Kompanie, as you describe, was the "Granatwerfer Kompanie" of each Fallschirmjäger Regiment. Could there be something to this? In regards to the color yellow being used for the FJ mortar units? Maybe Jean-Yves could add to this.

In this map case came some map items and a '41 dated black leather gravity knife lanyard. I will post some photos of the scarves tonight. And, will certainly keep you in mind if I sell/trade one.

Willi
              Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

John - thanks for the pic - great example.

How freaking cool is it to buy an item and then find another gem inside? I have never had the luck but it sounds like something to jump up and down about in excitement!!

Thanks Willi and Ian for the additional info.

Willi I think you answered my next question - is there any reference as to what each unit wore in reference to the scarves - sounds like info is still coming in on that one?

Personalizations such as these unit scarves are one of the many things that I love about FJ history - the esprite d'corps is shown in so many ways.

- James

Comment

You are welcome James,

Yes, unit info is still coming in. If you have a copy of Peters Fj Rgt. 3, vol. 2, take a look at the 'private' scorpion patches on the tropical tunics and shirts of Fj headed to, and in Africa.

And yes, I was thrilled to find that kerchief! An older collector friend bought an SS camo M-44 tunic many decades ago. When he got it home he found an SS helmet cover in one of the pockets! Now THAT is something to jump over!!

Regards,
                  John
                  Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X